Need to locate missing documentation

Started by falast, April 21, 2008, 08:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falast

I purchased a new Spectrum HO 2-8-0 LOCO (sound) Western Maryland 744 from an on-line hobby store.  The box was still sealed, but was missing all documentation and CD-ROM DCC Sound Instructions, which were listed as included on the outside of the box.  I have contacted the original seller who stated they ship what Bachmann provides and I have also made several request directly to Bachmann.  Does anyone know were I can locate this information on-line?  Any help would be appreciated.

richG

For right now, click on Product Reference, click on Diagrams. Click on Spectrum. Click on HO. Click on the loco of choice. You got to remember, most model railroad stuff comes from China.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Falast

The hobby store should have taken care of your problem, obviously they don't care.

You need the actual documentation including manual and diagram.  I would call the service department and ask about sending the whole locomotive back for exchange.  There is no excuse for not having the manuals in the box, I would call that defective. 

I get sick of some of these dealers just passing the buck to the manufacturer.  Mistakes happen but should be corrected.   If it was me I would be calling that hobby store and raising you now what.

This is why I only buy from Caboose Hobbies and Tower Hobbies.  They take care of their customers.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

falast

You are absolutely right, I would have sent it back, but this was a present from my Grandson’s birthday and I did not have sufficient time.  This is my first experience with any DCC and Bachmann products.  I used their E-Track to build and complete 4x8 layout.  I had another issues with this train. Right out of the box it would just short out the track.  After I figured out that one of the wheels was installed backwards everything worked fine and has ever since.  I guess it was a good test for my DCC controller. 

I looked in the recommended link and the only information for a 2-8-0 with sound was a Baldwin Loco.  Are these all the same?  I really want access to the Sound card.  This particular steam model produces a high pitch metal squeal that almost hurts your ears.  I am hoping this is adjustable.  My other concern is maintenance.  I have no idea it this Loco needs oiling.  It also came with a bag of what looks like graphite, which I assume must be used for something.   I will continue to bug Bachmann for these items, as I don’t know where else to look.

Yampa Bob

The bag of powder is just fake coal dust in case you want to dump it on the loco to weather it or something, don't know why they include the stuff.

Yes, it is a Baldwin.  Getting to the sound card probably won't help you.  It sounds like you just got a lemon.  I would sure recommend just sending back for replacement.  You shouldn't have to accept all those problems. 

Apparently the factories don't test anything, just throw it together and load it on the slow boat from China.  I returned three defective 2-8-0 in a row until I finally got a good one.  These things are expensive and we can't tolerate poor quality.

Was the box completely sealed in plastic or just tape in a few places.?  It might have been opened then re-wrapped.  None of my business, but I wouldn't buy from that store again, and I would let them know why.

Good luck
Bob

the Bach-man

Dear Falast,
Did you look under the picture backing the locomotive? This is where the info is shipped.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

falast

This forum’s assistance is greatly appreciated.  I had taken all of the packing materials out of the original box and still did not realize that the picture on the inside lid could be pulled out.  I have to apologize as the indicated CD and document were actually there.  Without the hint to look behind the picture, I would have never found it, as the picture looks like it is printed on the actual box. Thank you very much for pointing this out.   

Yampa Bob

Wonder why the dealer didn't mention that.

As for the high pitched squeal, there was another thread about this issue.  It had something to do with the worm gear rubbing on the casting.  I don't remember what the remedy was, but perhaps the member that offered the solution will come in and help.

Normally a good break in will quiet it down, but someone indicated that if the  gear is the problem, you could end up with a lot of brass shavings in the case, which is not good.

I have taken a couple of the 2-8-0 apart for various noises, and I found the bottom casting that holds the gears was pretty dry.  I lubed with some heavy grease and that helped a lot.

Is the squeal present in reverse, or just in forward? The thrust on the worm gear changes depending on the direction.  Keep posting your progress.

Bob