News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command

Started by newfiegod, April 12, 2008, 01:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newfiegod

I need a little info about Bachmanns e-z command dcc system. My understanding of this system is it will run more than one loco right out of the box, not sure how many but more than one......the local hobby shop told me that it will run only one loco out of the box and if i want to run more than one i will need to purchase a booster which runs about 300 bucks......is this the case?

Pacific Northern

I assume you are talking about the basic DCC unit which I have and run a portion of my layout with.

The basic E-Z Command  comes with a 1 amp power supply which supplies 1 amp of DCC power to the track continuously and up to 1.5 amps at peak power.

The number of locomotives will you can run at once will depend on the current draw of each of the locomotives.

Newer locomotives can require less then 1/4 of an amp,  older locomotives can draw much more. Note these would be non-sound units.

It would then be possible to operate up to 5 dcc equipped locomotives at one time, but that would really pushing its limits. I have run three engines at a time with no problem. Note that these do not have sound.

Should you want to run sound equipped engines you would be lucky to run two at a time. Sound engines require significant more amperage.

Note that the basic unit does not have a aux supply source for remote powered switches or building lighting etc. You will need another power source for them.  An old dc transformer will do fine for those.
Pacific Northern

prebres

I use the EZ-Command, and have not purchased their booster unit. With this basic one amp unit, I run 3 locos at once with no problem. One is a GP40 that came with the decoder installed. the other two are life-like units that I installed Bachmann decoders in. Total decoder install time was less than 10 minutes per unit. (Former USN STS) Your time may vary.

grumpy

I use the EZ command unit . It will only run 1 loco with sound at a time.If you want to run more you will have to purchase the booster or do like I did and increase the power supply. EZ command will run 2 sometimes 3 locos depending on the decoder used.
Don ::)

Yampa Bob

I was surprised that in the FAQ link that Hunt gave, it mentioned running 5 locos at a time, with a typical current draw of only 1/4 amp for each loco.  That might be true for a loco with no cars hooked on. 

The UK web site states 3 as maximum which seems more realistic.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

bobparki

You might wait on buying the booster.  I can run eight (8) Bachmann DCC locos with the basic EZ Command 1 amp system.  Yes, there is a slight reduction in speed but I only run freight cars so a little speed loss is no issue for me.  Bob   

Pacific Northern

Quote from: bobparki on April 14, 2008, 11:36:03 AM
You might wait on buying the booster.  I can run eight (8) Bachmann DCC locos with the basic EZ Command 1 amp system.  Yes, there is a slight reduction in speed but I only run freight cars so a little speed loss is no issue for me.  Bob   

8 engines at one time? Can not imagine that myself.

I  can only handle 4 max, even then that is pushing it.

I guess I am just getting old...........
Pacific Northern

prebres

You aren't getting old. I'm 39. Three engines at a time is my limit.

mattallen37

I have run more than 10 at a time 8) (they just slow down a bit) also it will not hurt to run more but if you run too many locos the system will restart (which is ok) and you have to start them all going again. also it is not hard to run that many at a time all you have to do it make a consist 8).

Matt