first attempt at weathering rolling stock

Started by prebres, April 21, 2008, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prebres

The is the original Athern kit.

Here is is after about 5 washes and some sad attempts at adding rust.

Comments and suggestions always welcome!

SteamGene

Better than my first attempt.   :D 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

epeorus

I think it looks great.  There really isn't anything that looks off.  My only comment is that once you get things going, you have to weather everything to make it look good in a string of cars ... unless you are sending it to a rip track. 

Some time in the future, you might want to fool around with shaving off the grabs and ladders and replacing them with detail parts.  Weathering some times emphasizes the molded on look.  But, those are skills that can be developed along the way.

Anyway,  I think it is an excellent first attempt.  Much better than mine, even now!

Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

prebres

Yampa Bob

Looks good.

I haven't tried weathering yet, but I have some old cars to practice on someday.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Kevin Strong

Ain't nothin' there to be ashamed of, even more so considering it's one of them microscopic scales.  ;D  I'd be tempted to add some dust around the trucks to bring them out just slightly, but beyond that I'd say you're off to a great start. I'd recommend Bragdon Enterprises' weathering powders. They work like chalks, but they've got a binder mixed in which makes it so that you don't have to overspray with a sealer. They make a light tan which works well for bringing out highlights like that.

Later,

K

rocknblues

i havent tried any weathering yet myself, but i think it looks good. When I do start heading in that direction I will know who to ask now. LOL Thanks for putting up the pics. - rock
rock :)

r.cprmier

Your roof looks as if it just came out of the paint shop.  Why not weather it, also, as it is usually the first part to feel the ravages of weather, time and sun.  The most common aging process of a roof is places where the paint has come off due to severe contact with rain or ice.  This is characterized by big blotches of bare (or rusted) steel showing through.  On an active prototype car, rust usually was not allowed to become too advanced, for obvious reasons.

The old reprobate

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Pacific Northern

Quote from: r.cprmier on April 21, 2008, 03:19:37 PM
Your roof looks as if it just came out of the paint shop.  Why not weather it, also, as it is usually the first part to feel the ravages of weather, time and sun.  The most common aging process of a roof is places where the paint has come off due to severe contact with rain or ice.  This is characterized by big blotches of bare (or rusted) steel showing through.  On an active prototype car, rust usually was not allowed to become too advanced, for obvious reasons.

The old reprobate

Did I miss a picture, I can not see the roof details of the weathered car only the car before weathering?
Pacific Northern

prebres

I didn't post a picture of the weathered roof. I'll shoot a couple more photos that show the roof! Hold on, be right back...

The last two are natural light from a diffused window behind the layout. That is why they look to be a little bit more red than the first.

Pacific Northern

prebres

The box car look great, roof and all.

Pacific Northern

Santa Fe buff

Finally, I saw your vids, I thought you didn't like dirtying up your trains, but now it looks twice as real...GOOD WORK! ;)
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Along those lines - when I'm assembling a car, I ream out the journals of the trucks, put in metal wheelsets, and paint the trucks with:
dull black
weathered black
oily black
grimy black
It really doesn't make a difference, but the plastic gloss is gone and the trucks don't look identical in color. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

I'm no judge of weathering, but I think it looks great.  I took some pictures of new wheel and axle sets in a repair yard in Wichita, they were totally rusty. 

Nice job posting the pictures too. I very much appreciate the smaller file and image size that my slow dialup can handle. 

Bob   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

TrampTrader

I 've never attempted weathering yet, but your work looks excellent. Congratulations.