first attempt at weathering rolling stock

Started by prebres, April 21, 2008, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prebres

Question: Would locos be less weathered than general rolling stock? I'm thinking yes, because they are serviced and washed. Am I correct?

SteamGene

Washing of an engine will depend a great deal of when and where, not to mention what kind of engine.  So a bit more specifics are necessary for a valid answer.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

prebres

Ok SteamGene,

Modeling the Santa Fe line during the transition era. Locos are F units and a GP7.

Paul M.

Prebres, I think that your locos would be cleaner than your freight cars in your era and local. Keep up the good work!

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Yes, and E units maybe even cleaner. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

prebres

Yampa Bob

I guess it depends on available facilities.  Out here UP runs GPs and SDs between Phippsburg and the coal mines, about 100 miles.  I haven't seen a clean loco in the 25 years I've been here.

The locos that pick up the cars at Phippsburg and takes them south to the main line and on to Denver get cleaned more frequently.  Since they parallel the interstate they need to create a better impression, and they have access to cleaning facilities.

As a stockholder myself, I am more concerned with routine maintenance than how shiney the locos are.  As for the coal cars, it is cheaper to run them till they fall apart then replace them, than it is to be constantly maintaining them.  Over 100 million tons of coal per year are hauled from this area.   

I just sent in my proxy with a note, I don't care who's on the board, just keep that coal moving.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.