News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 drive train

Started by spla13, April 21, 2008, 08:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spla13

what is wrong with the drive train in the 2-8-0? i have had one apart and the motor and gears do look like something you would find in a 2 dollar toy but will they pull a train for a decade with proper lube without having to re motor or gear? if they will thats good enoff for me .if not thats why theres berrys. i would like to know before i buy a second one.

Cascade Northern

I would say yes, they will last a long time with proper maintenance.  I have had one for about five years, and I have had zero problems with it.  Pretty much everything will last for decades with proper maintenance.

Jon D. Miller

I've had a Connie since November 2001.  It was converted to battery power when received. 

The Connie has been run on a regular basis, probably at least two or three times per month since it was received.  Never a problem.  I lube the motor shaft, worm gear, and axle gear once a year.  The rest of the locomotive is lubed two or three times per year.

The Connie usually pulls 10 to 15 cars.  At the last drive gear/motor lubrication there were no signs of wear. So far, so good.  I would not hesitate to purchase another one of these locomotives.

Only problem with the Connie was one that has been reported a number of times.  One of the truck side frames broke loose from the truck bolster. I was able to repair the side frame and it has been fine since then.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)