News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

plaster gauze

Started by SteamGene, April 22, 2008, 09:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I've been using plaster gauze for ground and found a few places where it was hard to get a wet piece situated correctly. So I laid the dry gauze where I wanted it and then sprayed it with water from a sprayer.  Works great - and you don't lose any plaster in the dipping water.   ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Thanks for the tip, will keep it in mind when I start making my hill and mountain areas.

Did you have to soak it pretty good to get it to conform to the contours?  I'm thinking you would need to spray the bottom before laying the gauze?

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

I just make sure the entire piece is wet.  A few times I have to use a finger or two to wiggle it into its correct position.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

I have all the Woodland Scenics books and videos, it's amazing how real the scenics looks.  The guy in the video makes it seem so easy, of course he has an unlimited supply.

I'm not particulary fond of the wadded newspaper thing, I am thinking about using blocks of foam and carving with a bow cutter.  I used to cut foam wing cores and other parts for planes.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rocknblues

I have the Woodland Scenics book "The Scenery Manual". It is filled with information and ideas for scenery. I have been using Woodland Scenics ground cover and am very pleased with the outcome. I just picked up a roll of their plaster gauze today. I can't wait to try it, and thank you for the tip on using a spray bottle to wet it. Will thin cardboard work as a support to hold the gauze in place, like a shell? I want to cover an open space on my layout. It won't be supporting anything other than ground cover foam. I was thinking of shaping thin cardboard like from a cereal box, in the shape of a hill and covering it with plaster gauze. I need the empty space under the hill for the train to run, thats why I need thin. Thanks again for your tip Gene. - rock
rock :)

SteamGene

Rock,
I use various types of cardboard for the support of the gauze.  It seems to work fine.  Longer runs require heavier cardboard.  Make sure your spacing of the support matches the width of the gauze. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat