Possible Thomas and Friends transformer problem

Started by CrazyThomasFan, April 16, 2008, 09:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyThomasFan

Hello all.  I plan on contacting Bachmann support about this problem but I thought someone may have experienced this already.

When I plug in the transformer into the outlet and measure the AC and DC voltages and current, it seems to fluctuate wildly.  When I plug into the track, the trains do not move either.

Once I wiggle and giggle the transformer I can get the 16VDC output and the trains move for maybe one second and then the voltage drops.

Sounds like I need a new transformer but maybe a schematic of the transformer with some voltage measurements might be useful too so I could go to Radio Shack and repair the discrete components myself.

Any suggestions would be great!

CrazyThomasFan

Diesel #261

My idea would be if you live close to Dubois go up to the hobby center up there.  They are having a sale and most of their transformers are only $20.00 to $30.00 each. ;D
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

ThomasFan247

Quote from: CrazyThomasFan on April 16, 2008, 09:45:05 PM
Hello all.  I plan on contacting Bachmann support about this problem but I thought someone may have experienced this already.

When I plug in the transformer into the outlet and measure the AC and DC voltages and current, it seems to fluctuate wildly.  When I plug into the track, the trains do not move either.

Once I wiggle and giggle the transformer I can get the 16VDC output and the trains move for maybe one second and then the voltage drops.

Sounds like I need a new transformer but maybe a schematic of the transformer with some voltage measurements might be useful too so I could go to Radio Shack and repair the discrete components myself.

Any suggestions would be great!

CrazyThomasFan
my problem is almost the same as yours. i have a controller from the gordon set that has the accessorie hook up. when i use it runs fine but sometimes it jerks my engines. itll be goin 100 then it jerks faster 4 about 2 seconds. awhile ago tyour exact thing happenned 2 me. my mom bought me a track eraser that wurks, but sometimes i mask my track with duck tape and let it sit 4 about a 1/2 hour. mab more.then i remove it.it usually wurks. your track mite just b durty.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Thomas. on April 25, 2008, 09:32:48 PM
my problem is almost the same as yours. i have a controller from the gordon set that has the accessorie hook up. when i use it runs fine but sometimes it jerks my engines. itll be goin 100 then it jerks faster 4 about 2 seconds. awhile ago tyour exact thing happenned 2 me. my mom bought me a track eraser that wurks, but sometimes i mask my track with duck tape and let it sit 4 about a 1/2 hour. mab more.then i remove it.it usually wurks. your track mite just b durty.
*cough* don't listen to what he says *cough*

When measuring the voltage it does not matter what state the track is in. You may want to buy an MRC Tech 4 Powerpack.
http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=1298

BTW, duck tape will leave the sticky residue on the rails. Just put alcohol on a rag, or paper towel, and rub it along the rails to remove and junk.
Alex

ThomasFan247

Quote from: Guilford Guy on April 25, 2008, 10:51:25 PM
Quote from: Thomas. on April 25, 2008, 09:32:48 PM
*cough* don't listen to what he says *cough*

When measuring the voltage it does not matter what state the track is in. You may want to buy an MRC Tech 4 Powerpack.
http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=1298

BTW, duck tape will leave the sticky residue on the rails. Just put alcohol on a rag, or paper towel, and rub it along the rails to remove and junk.
the tape doesnt leev a residoo bhind. ive ben doin it awhile and my tracks wurk much better.

Guilford Guy

Do you know what adhesives they have on Duck Tape to make it hold so well? Imagine putting those directly onto your rails. If you still can't visualize this, imagine putting a light layer of white glue on your rails, and run your trains around to spread it around your rails and wheels. Just use alcohol, its far better.
Alex

Diesel #261

Quote from: Guilford Guy on April 26, 2008, 10:13:53 PM
If you still can't visualize this, imagine putting a light layer of white glue on your rails, and run your trains around to spread it around your rails and wheels.

I thinks that is what he is trying to do.:P  Have fun gluing them tommy trains to the tracks Thomas. :D
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

PRRThomas11

Simple, just mail the transformer back to Bachmann and they will send you a brand new one. The adress is in the service/parts thing at the top of this page.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World"