News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Backmann Spectrum K4 Smoke

Started by ranger, April 23, 2008, 04:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranger

I have a spectrum K4 engine and I am wanting to add a smoke unit to the smokestack. Is this possable and how would I do this? I would like to see this smoke as it rolls around the track. Hope someone can help me.

SteamGene

Best hope - Don't do it.  You would not be allowed to run it on my layout.  The "smoke" is heated oil, which, as it cools and condenses, falls back on the layout, covering scenery and buildings with an oily waste which disfigures everything and causes trains, both motive power and rolling stock, to function poorly.  In addition, it is not realistic at all.
However, if you must do this, look in the Walthers catalog for "Many New Items."  Be advised that the inventor/owner used to be a member of the Chesapeake Bay Railroaders and he never even thought to suggest the club use his system - though it did buy his track cleaning car.
Gene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

The residue also gets on the carpet, the drapes the cat and anything else in the area.  I'm with Gene, forget the smoke.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Ranger,
Remember: what goes up must come down, and this is particularly vexing when the vaporized smoke oil condenses and lands on the track, scenery, rolling stock, etc.
That said, Mike's Train House makes a K-4 that smokes copiously, but remember to refer to paragraph one...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Guilford Guy

If you use smoke, use Rapido's Smoke fluid whenever it comes out. From their add, they claim it will not leave an oily residue, and will clean the track. I'm skeptical, but Rapido has always been straightforward so we'll have to wait and see.
Alex

pdlethbridge

cross a couple of wires and you should have plenty of smoke ;D

ranger

Thanks everyone for the information about adding smoke to my Spectrum K-4. I will back off for a while on this. I am going to check into the Rapido's smoke flluid, since it may not leave a oily residue and will clean the track. Again thanks for all the information and the help. Ranger

Conrail Quality

Given that Rapido is designing this steam-emitter(for lack of a better word) to fit into a 40' car, I would be suprised if it would be able to fit into an HO steam locomotive. Still, Rapido has suprised me before, so I'll wait until it hits the market to be pessimistic.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Guilford Guy

Hey Timmy! Rapido is also making New Haven Osgood Bradley Lightweights that you can run behind NH electric! ;) yummy EP4's!
Alex

Conrail Quality

Of course, just after I switch to N-scale, they announce that. I'm sure Riverpoint Station will follow up with pre-production samples and a release date for their EF-3's! It must all be a conspiracy...

:D Timothy
Timothy

Guilford Guy

Those River Point Electrics are in their 5th year. Maybe if we talk to Mike from IHP he will make them for us!
Alex

Conrail Quality

Sorry, GG, but Mike at IHP beat you to it :). He already announced a few months ago that he's working on an EP-4. Evidently we're not the only ones who aren't confident in the likelihold of the Riverpoint electrics ever being... well... in existance :-\.

Timothy
Timothy

Guilford Guy

Hmmm, now we just need him to do the EP-3, and EF-3... IMHO the EP5's and the boxcab freight motors look the best...

How off topic we must be right now...
Alex