News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Broken Acela Couplers

Started by PRRThomas11, April 25, 2008, 05:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRThomas11

My friend, who's isn't really into trains like I am, has an Acela set he got a few years ago from another state and a store that isn't in business anymore. Two of the couplers broke. I tried to fix them but had no luck. When I called my LHS they said I should send it back to Bachmann. How do I send it, just the one car or the whole set and what are all of the polices for repairs?
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

the Bach-man

Dear PRR,
Call the service department. They'll be happy to send you some couplers.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

PRRThomas11

OK thank you.

We already have the part it needs. I am not sure if it is a spare that came with it or the piece that fell off. I triad to put it on my self bet it seems impossible without taking the whole car apart and I can't figure out how to do that.

Thank you for your help. ;)

D.Harrison

Go to my website, click on modeling techniques and scroll down to couplers.  A lot of people break the drawbars...there are two sizes of drawbars, short for power car to end car coupling and long for coupling between any two cars. Drawbars can be ordered from Bachmann parts department.

Some people also have broken the actual housing into which the drawbars insert.  And if the spring has come loose, this repair is difficult.  Best to remove the wheelset to better access the sprung holder.

http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed.html

David Harrison

PRRThomas11

Ok thank you.

There is one problem though, the whole coupler assembly came out. I can get the spare part it came with onto the hole above the truck and attach the spring but there is a little hook on the little bar that goes into the long opening which I can't get in. How do I do that? If I know that I can fix the whole thing myself.

D.Harrison

There is a reason why you can't get that part to fit into the hole too easily.  If it went in with ease, it would also come out too easily in service.  Did my website pictures help any?  It should make you feel better to know that even I with a lot of experience dread this repair.

I think the proper sequence is to put the part into the hole first, then reattach the rest and the springs.

David Harrison