Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

For our British members

Started by SteamGene, April 23, 2008, 06:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Happy St. George's Day! 
For England and Saint George!
Not to mention William Shakespeare, Gent.  RIP.
"....this was a man."

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hamish K

Gene

For our British members

Happy St George's ? Day
For England?

Enough said:   I suggest you stick to trains.

Scots Wha Hae

Hamish
(I live in Australia but remeber my ancestors)

Jim Banner

Hamish, not all of us could get an apostle as our patron saint.  And besides, the Georges, Patricks and Davids of this world also needed places to patronize when they became saints.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

St George is the patron saint of "cashing in".  No one knows how to celebrate the day, but vendors make a fortune selling t-shirts and coffee mugs. 

Now the Scots know how to throw a party, woohoo!! But forget the bag pipes, they give me a bloody headache.  Why is everything in England "bloody"?

We have our own "King George" you know.  He wears Wranglers and a Stetson hat.
Yee haw........

Anyway I'm too old to celebrate anything, but will tip a cup o'tea to ya.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Hamish,
St. George is the patron of England, not Scotland.  That's St. Andrew.  George is also the patron of the cavalry and soldiers in general.  I rather prefer my own, Barbara, to whom I credit saving my life at least twice. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hamish K

Gene, I am well aware that St George is the patron Saint of England, and not Britain or  Scotland or the other constituents of Britain. That was my point. If you had addressed your message to "our English members" I would have had no problem. "British" and "English" are not synonyms.

Now back to trains

Hamish

r.cprmier

Gene;
Barbara:  (GK)  Patron saint of miners, I believe.  Did she perhaps save you from a cave-in?  St George (GK) also happens to be rather universal, What?  The "Snap-On" tool of Saintery I chance...Even had a gig on the Reynolds Wrap logo once upon a tune.

Kalle Mera.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich, Barbara is the patron of those who work with sudden death and high explosives.  My connection is field artillery, but miners, civil engineers, and others venerate her. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Woody Elmore

Reading about artillery reminds me of a terrible pun: Ringling Brothers Circusanounced the hiring of a new human cannonball - they found just the right caliber of a man for the job. They told him that he'd be fired every day!