News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

WHy so wide?

Started by Mike, April 25, 2008, 06:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Why is it that some of the posts are so wide? For example- whenever I try to read any of "rocknblues"'s posts in the "Pictures of my bluff" topic, I have to scroll across right and left to read it all. This is true of only some of the posts... but I have run into it in several various threads. Am I doing something wrong?.. or do I have some incorrect settings? For what it is worth, I have a wide screen laptop, but it seems to be the same on my laptop, my home computer, and the desktop at work. I'm hoping that some of you computer "whizzes" will give me some information/understanding here. Thanks- Mike

prebres

What browser do you use?

Mike

Internet Explorer on XP Pro.

prebres

It is a browser or HTML issue. I use Firefox on XP Pro. I have no problems. I just tried one of the posts you mentioned with IE and had the same issue.

Yampa Bob

I think it's caused by people with 27 inch monitors with resolution set to 1600 X 1200, double the size of accepted standards. I have 3 computers, all XP and I get the same effects.  I just figure they don't want me to read their posts and move on.

I have a similar problem with the file hog pictures, some of them over 800 kb, so I can't see their pictures either.  I had a thread on image management but was accused of trying to set forum policy so I deleted it.   

Let's face it, some people just do their own thing and don't worry about anyone else. Just another case of progress leaving the little people behind. 

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

It appears to be an Internet Explorer gottcha.  I just tried "Pictures of my Bluff" in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Seamonkey running on Widows 98 and Windows XP.  In both Win98 and WinXP, Internet Explorer displayed the two photos side by side which meant a lot of scrolling back and forth.  In all cases using Firefox and Seamonkey, the two photos were displayed one below the other and required no scrolling.  All the tests were done with 600 x 800 screen resolution. 

Firefox and Seamonkey are available for free.  If you have a faster computer, I would recommend Firefox.  But if your computer is slower, Seamonkey is a better choice.  For those who remember the old Mozilla with the red dragon symbol, Seamonkey is an updated version and includes an updated version ofComposer, my preferred program for writing web pages.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Well, I guess that would fix it.  It's similar to the broadband issue and the file hog pictures,  every time something new comes up then the rest of us aren't compatible anymore. I have used IE ever since it came out. I tried Nutscape once and hated it.

It doesn't happen often enough to worry about it.  If all the threads go wide angle, then I'll just move on to "slower" pastures. LOL

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

r0bert

it's because of the way it was posted, the original poster pasted an img tag that freaked the software out, and posted both images and the broken tag all on one line.
when corrected

rocknblues

Sorry Yampa Bob but the resoloution I used was 640 x 480. I am not a computer wizard, thats why it turned out that way. I too have to scroll across to look at it. I just try things by trial and error. Sorry don't know how to fix it, or I would. I am certainly not trying to leave anyone behind because I am at the back of the line myself. I use Windows XP and IE, my computer is 4 years old. Someone said I have a broken thread, to me that means I need to learn to sew. Sorry, I don't know how to fix it. - rock
p.s. I went back in and figured out how to fix it and it looks like I did. Sorry for ruffling your feathers, it wasn't intentional.
rock :)

Mike

Thanks, Rocknblues. I appreciate the efforts.It was no big deal to me in the first place. I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong.- Mike

rocknblues

No  problem Mike, it wouldn't have been fixed without someone telling me it was wrong. The false accusations of being insensitive to other members abilities is what gets my German/Swede blood up. We all make mistakes, for we are human. Thank you for bringing it up, thats what these forums are for is to learn and discuss, right? LOL - rock
rock :)