I want to put magnetic couplers on a set of Bachmann Metoliner

Started by jmazzeo, April 29, 2008, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmazzeo

I have a pair of HO Metroliners that are in excelent condition and I want to convert from hornhook to a magnetic coupler. I tried some Bachmann EZ mates but they don't seem to work. If I try to couple a standard Bachmann amfleet car or even a Walthers Amfleet the cars woun't couple. And if I am lucky to get them to couple, the Metroliners derail because the couplers are attached to a steering mechenizem on the trucks.

Any suggetions???? Also are there any specs out there for converting these units to DCC?

Thanks

Conrail Quality

The easiest way to solve your problems would be to get a Proto 1000 RDC chassis and mount the Metroliner shell on it. It runs well (certainly better than the Metroliner drive), and converting the RDC  mechanism to DCC is fairly easy (there are instructions elsewhere on the internet). The RDC also has body-mounted knuckle couplers, so that issue is solved. The only real issue with the RDC is that it is geared very slow. Northwest Shortline offers a replacement gearset that will speed it up, but you willl still not be able to get it above about 80 scale m.p.h.

As for the dummy units, I'm not sure how to proceed without a picture or descrpition of the coupler pocket. At a guess, I would recomend trying a Kadee #37 or 38. Try looking at Kadee's instructions for Bachmann models of the same era, like the U36-B.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific