News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-4 Specs and questions

Started by rallygsc, April 27, 2008, 02:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallygsc

Hello Everyone:

I am glad bachmann made a 2-8-4, but I am wandering on the details on it since bachmann's site has such a vague description about it.

does the loco have a flywheel inside?, and what is the general tech specs on it?.

I don't use dcc, I am not worried about that jazz, but I am hoping there is a flywheel inside, if not, I will pitch the extra $$$ and go for a proto version.

any help or info is appreciated

take care and thanks
George

jakuma

Yes it does have the two flywheels but while it looks terrific it lacks tractive effort. in fact both the Bachmann Mountain and the Berkshire with dcc onboard I consider gutless.
The Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation will outpull both of these.

rallygsc

Thanks for the heads up.

that's really sad that a 2-8-0 can outpull a 4-8-2 and a 2-8-4.

Bachmann needs to add more weight to the locos for better traction.

I have a few 2-8-0's by spectrum, my only complaint is the belt drive, considering how many trains over the years broke belts, you would think bachmann could have went with a gear drive system.

does anyone have a solution for the bachmann 2-8-4, I would like to get one, but if it pulls for crap, then the proto one would be the way to go.

BaltoOhioRRfan

my 4-8-2 out pulls my 2-8-0's(Heavy mountain). I have not tried a pull test yet with the Berk but it feels heavier then a 2-8-0. I've got both C&O numbers and i've taken the DCC board out. I expect it to pull what i need it to which is about 15-20 cars. I've been busy working on 4 0-6-0T and a 2 truck Climax. Both spectrums. My proto berk slips alot pulling just 4 heavyweights(spectrum cars) my 4-8-2's can pull 8 of em with very or no slipping at all(the 8 car George Washington Set + Loco)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

SteamGene

I agree with BO ::)  The Bachmann 2-8-4 while having not quite as much detail outpulls the Proto hands down.  I'll gladly swap a Proto 2-8-4 for a Bachmann any day.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rallygsc

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the heads up on those, I had a 4-8-2 C&O last year, but due to unforseen circumstances I had to sell it prior to actually trying it.

I am a berkshire nut, but it seems more and more I am gonna get the proto 2000 version of the berk,

so far I have had 7 negative comments about it's pulling power, not counting this site.

even if the Nickel plate ones are rail fan versions, you figure they should pull at least 6 passenger cars,

one guy I chatted with told me on a 1 percent grade the engine was having a heck of a time pulling 10 40' reefers.

I have a 2-8-0 spectrum UP  and I had 25 cars hooked up to it on a 1 percent grade, so I know the berkshire is weak for sure.

as for the 4-8-2. all I have is about 4 IHC ones, I have only used one so far and it pulled 8 heavy weights by spectrum without a problem.

I like the level of detail on the new berkshires by bachmann, but if it can pull, it's not worth it to me.

I have an older rivarossi berk, probably 10 years old??? it is the one with the safety express coal tender, I had it hooked up to 15 cars about a month ago and no problem

most of my freight cars are the old TM kits, I love them, I have a soft spot for the old TM cars.

so if I get a berk, it seems I will have to spend $150 to get the proto instead of the $95 for the bachmann, no sound or no dcc doesn't matter to me as long as I can run it and park it at the round house when not in use.

thanks for the input

take care
George

SteamGene

Let me say this again - the Bachmann 2-8-4 outpulls the Proto 2-8-4 without traction tires.  If you buy a Bachmann C&O 2-8-4 I will gladly swap a Proto 2-8-4 for it. 
As another member suggest, unlike real locomotives, model locomotives are NOT helped with additional drivers. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

A few thoughts:

The Bachmann 2-8-0 and the Bachmann 4-8-2 Heavy both pull well for their size/weight.

Pulling power is often a function of the rolling qualities of the rolling stock, so one person saying "this loco pulled x cars" or "that loco pulled y cars" is meaningless without more controlled test standards.

All reports on the pulling power of the Proto 2-8-4 are poor at best, while the Bachmann 2-8-4 seems to be getting fair to good reports.

I have done controlled tests with many locos but have not yet tested the Bachmann 2-8-4.

My tests use over 70 indentical cars weighing 5.4 oz and having very free rolling trucks.

Some of my results:

Bachmann 2-8-0 = 18 cars = 97.2 oz

Bachmann 4-8-2 Heavy = 30 cars = 162 oz

My tests show that with free rolling trucks the total weight pulled can be extrapolated to cars of other weights. Example:

Bachmann 4-8-2 Heavy = 162 oz = 40 cars @ 4 oz each.

If the weight, balance and driver springing of the new Bachmann 2-8-4 is similar to the 4-8-2, it should pull similar numbers.

Sheldon

sour rails

I have a Bachmann Berk and I love it.  I had it pulling about fifteen cars without any problem.  Most of them were 50', some were 40', and some were 56'.  I would like to get a Proto version of it just to compare the quality myself, and to have a different number :).  The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not a Spectrum.  I only have two steam locos, one Spectrum 2-8-0, and one standard Berk, but I can tell they are quite different just by looking at them.  Now that I have more freight cars, I haven't compaired them yet.  But I think I can be safe to say that my Spectrum 2-8-0 could outpull the Berk.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

ta152h0

rally,
i did not care for DCC" and all that jazz " at one time but now that I jumped into it..................WOW !!!! all the kids that come to the house and visit my grandson.....well the word describing their wonderment has not been invented yet. i am sure the germans may have a compound word for it but i don't know what that is.  ;D ;D ;D

sour rails

Quote from: SteamGene on April 29, 2008, 03:14:47 PM
I'll trade you.   ;)
Gene

Who are saying that to?  You've been talking about it all through this topic.  If you were telling me, then I'd have to think about it.  By the way, mine is an NKP, not a C&O.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

SteamGene

Actually, I'm trying to make the point that the Bachmann appears the superior in performance.  Obviously the Proto is much more expensive. 
You are right - I dont' need a NKP.  I'm like the other number C&O or a PM, as C&O used the PM Berks after the take-over.  Most, if not all retained their numbers and C&O retired their Mikes wih an identical road number.
Gen
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

i am sure the germans may have a compound word for it

Germans                   Ach!  (Got in Himmel!)
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat