Walthers Cornerstone 3-Stall Roundhouse # 933-3041

Started by Craig, February 27, 2007, 03:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

I'm building a 6-stall version of this kit and I have a number of concerns. If anyone has built this kit I would appreciate some pointers.

On both of my kits there are several components that do not fit as-is. The roof panels are too long and the clerestory windows don't fit, either. The roof panels cannot be positioned to fit without notching them. And the window units would have to be notched AND trimmed in order to fit. And what's with the gaps at each end of the roof panel joints? What am I missing here?

Craig

Bill Baker

Craig,

I have a friend who has the Walthers 3 stall version.  I'll get hold of him and see if he had the same or similar problems.  I'll let you know.
Bill

Craig

Thanks, Bill. I have a great deal of time in this model and I'd prefer to avoid cutting the remaining components if possible. Please feel free to provide my e-mail address to your friend. I'd love to see a picture of his finished product.

Craig

SteamGene

Craig - I've built one Walthers 3 stall roundhouse and had no trouble at all.  The kit is several years old and may not be the Cornerstone one, which maybe a later one. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Bill Baker

Craig,

Doggoneit, he has a Heljin roundhouse.  That is very interesting about the Walthers.  Usually their Cornerstone products are very good.  I would like to know the same thing you asked about.  Whether you may have gotten a unique bad kit or whether this problem is pervasive in the kit.

If this thread starts to move to the distant pages, bump it back every now and then.

Sorry I couldn't help you.

Bill

PS:  You know as an after thought why don't you call Walthers and see if they will accept a return.  I ordered a turntable from them several years ago and it was way beyond my modeling abilities.  I returned it and got a credit with no problem at all.  They were very nice about it.
Bill

Craig

Bill,

I wouldn't return them because I've got so much labor in assembly, decoration and weathering as it is. I’m not one to weather after I put the windows in. None of the problems were apparent until it came time to put the roof on, which is the last step.

I've talked to Walthers about it and they're still trying to figure out what to do. I sent them pictures of the problem areas on Friday. Monday I got a reply that was unhelpful. I followed their instructions (which I knew were not going to help) and then sent more pictures illustrating that their panels are much too long. It simply cannot be assembled without extensive modifications. I have the means to make the mods if need be.

I've yet to hear back again.

Craig

Craig

Well, it’s built. I did the necessary modifications and cut my track today. This will be a nice looking structure once the decoration, which will involve putty, is complete.

My thanks to those who responded. If anyone plans to build this kit and would like some “inside information” please feel free to contact me. There are quite a few important cautions that are not included in the manual.

Craig