News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0??????

Started by snowshoe, May 01, 2008, 07:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoe

This is for the Bach Man or any one else that knows how to fix this problem.   I have a Bachmann big hauler from the tweetsie RR set.  The front lead trucks keep coming off the track.  I tried adding weights to the front and back wheels of the front trucks. I still had problems.  The track seems even no drastic changes in grade or anything.  Is there anything else I could do to correct the problem???  I heard thisis a common problem.  It seems like they need more weight or stiffer spring.  Does Bachmann plan on fixing this problem.  Thanks

Steve Stockham

There are a couple of things you can do to help with this problem. First, have you lubricated the area where the pilot "slides" side to side in an arc? Second, loosen the bolt so the pilot moves more freely. Third, add weight to the pilot (which you apparently already have done.) Fourth, (and this may be a big one) check the gauge of the pilot wheels. You may find that this is the reason the pilot keeps derailing. Lastly, if all else fails, contact Barry Olson at Barry's Big Trains as he has an aftermarket replacement for the pilot mounting that pretty much eliminates any problems! ;)

snowshoe

I fixed my problem.  I widened the front wheels on my lead trucks.  I didnt have anything to measure the gauge but I played with it until it ran without derailing.  I had it running all day yesterday without a single derail.

Eugene

Same problem here, I had to do the following to get reliable
operation from this engine:

1 raise the cow catcher slightly

2 put led weights on the truck

3 loosen the screw that holds the truck by app 2 turns, this allowed lowering
   the truck and fixed the problem. Item 2 only resulted in a minor improvement.

I also installed Phoenix sound, 900 wireless control and 12 AA NIMH batteries,
all in the tender together with a 2" box fan. works great. Keeping the batteries topped up from the track!

Eugene

Metallus2000

I am glad I found this post....I just bought the Big hauler set as a starter to get my layout going.  I started a simple 15x20 circle around a landscaped area with plans to expand.  Unfortunately the engine kept de-railing and the phone support never picked up after several attempts.  I will let you know how the fixes above work, many thanks!

BTW Snowshoe how did you widen the truck wheels?

Ken

Steve Stockham

You're welcome! Actually, I had this problem with a 2nd gen. Big-Hauler back in 1999 and some people were kind enough to help me out! I'm just passing along their help! ;D

snowshoe

Quote from: Metallus2000 on May 13, 2008, 12:29:24 PM
I am glad I found this post....I just bought the Big hauler set as a starter to get my layout going.  I started a simple 15x20 circle around a landscaped area with plans to expand.  Unfortunately the engine kept de-railing and the phone support never picked up after several attempts.  I will let you know how the fixes above work, many thanks!

BTW Snowshoe how did you widen the truck wheels?

Ken

I actually had to hold on one wheel while pulling the other wheel out.  Eventually it will come loose.  Then just set it to whatever gauge you want. (I dd not have anything to measure gauge so I just guessed and it worked. I also bought a new lead truck from Barrys.  I have not put it on but I heard his lead trucks work great. 

Metallus2000

Thanks I will try the wheel pulling trick...but not buying from Barry, his trucks cost the same amount as the loco...!

scottychaos

After much trial and error and frustration, I finally made this modification to solve the front truck derailing problem! ;)

Before:

After:

the front truck will never derail again..because its GONE!  ;D

Scot

Metallus2000

I love it!...where did you re-wire to?

scottychaos

Quote from: Metallus2000 on May 14, 2008, 10:32:40 AM
I love it!...where did you re-wire to?

thanks!
I didnt re-wire anything..
its now an 0-6-0, but the drivers always had pickups already, so the front truck pickups were just snipped and left un-attached..
(actually, this particular loco is battery powered..but the modification is the same for track or battery power..you simply dont need the pilot truck pickups anymore either way..)

I cut away about half of the smokebox and re-attached the smokebox front.
new headlight bracket attached.
cut down the pilot and re-attached with a new metal bracket underneath.

Its not quite prototypically accurate for a 0-6-0,
because I didnt change the position of the cylinders,
therefore the cylinders are "sticking out" in front more they should for a "proper" 0-6-0..but it works for me...and it now operates MUCH better, which was the main point of the mod..aesthetics are secondary in this case..

Its actually my Dad's engine, not mine...(but I did the mod)
I will try to get more pictures next time I visit my parents.

Scot

Metallus2000

Thanks...this was from a kit I got as a present, so no big deal to try to modify that way for me.  My track is level (checked last night) I still think my curves are too sharp for this particular engine as my diesels run fine, no de-railment at all....

I will let you know if it's a permanent yard decoration or a running machine by this weekend!... ;)

grumpy

I run my 4-6-0 on 4'0 diam curves and no derailing. I would go back and check the attitude of your curves.
Don :(

Metallus2000

Maybe, but my Aristo 2-4-2 works great curves and all!

I removed the truck last night, ran it around the track, worked great...I am going to play with the Truck and see if I can fix, it seems way too light, so maybe some lead weights, if that doesn't work I will modify as above and watch what I buy....aka buyer beware/aware!