Internet Model Trains Website

Started by prebres, May 01, 2008, 08:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prebres

Has anyone got any experiences with this place. I'm thinking of placing an order, but I don't really like surprises. How long to ship? Items ok? Customer service quality? Those kinds of things. Thanks in advance for any help you may give.

epeorus

Although I hate to give any model railroad seller a black eye, these guys seem to go out of their way to earn it.  I have placed (and cancelled) two orders.  Although they list the stuff as "in stock", it may take over six months for them to actually "allocate" the material from their warehouse (as far as I can tell, it's about 1200 square feet) to your order and then an additional 6 or so weeks to deliver.  I have chosen to avoid them.  I do know that some people have had good luck.  If you want to see lots of comments, there is a message string some 17 pages long at the Model Railroader message board about other people's experience.
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

prebres

Santa Fe buff

http://www.internettrains.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=IT&Category_Code=HSCLOCSTLATGFES&Featured=NEW

Are you talking about this place, they have EVERYTHING,
and since I figured out to manage with school, I think I might do "I'll find anything, thing."

BUT I HATE IT WHEN YOU GUYS HAVE FUN WITH IT, but you still can, except I can't promise that I will find your locos.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Check out Caboose Hobbies in Denver.  They are very honest and won't promise what they can't deliver.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

Must be true to their word, I like that.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

They've been in business for 70 years, must be doing something right. They don't have a so called warehouse in another building, everything they stock is in the store.  If you have a question about an item, they will grab one off the shelf and answer your concerns.

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_home.php

When you call ask for Bill Johnson, tell him  Bob referred you. He is a member of the local club, he knows trains. 

Bob

Santa Fe buff

Here's all the rare things I found on  Caboose hobbies-all in HO

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=18721&prod_image_ext=gif

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=4572&prod_image_ext=jpg

They are pretty good, but my dad won't ever let me internet shop even straight from the manufacturer...
- Joshua Bauer

richG

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on May 01, 2008, 01:06:23 PM

They are pretty good, but my dad won't ever let me internet shop even straight from the manufacturer...

On the Trains.com forum I see many complaints about Internet Model Trains. Some have had decent service. It sounds like a gamble. They might be good for reference.

Don't EVER buy directly from the manufacturer. You will pay top dollar most of the time. Spend some time looking at the HO scale for ebay. The Favorite Stop has excellent prices for Spectrum.
Compare Caboose Hobbies prices with manufacturers prices as a start. Generally, The Favorite Spot on ebay has better prices. I just won a bid for $30.50 including shipping for a new Spectrum 44 ton diesel that retails for $90.00 at Horizon Hobbies  and it is brand new, plus The Favorite Spot has very good customer service.
At least, learn to shop wisely on the 'Net even if you cannot buy now.

Rich

Santa Fe buff

Rich,

Shopping wisely is a perfect skill, your right, besides the internet is fun, you don't always have to shop, you can do anything!-almost.
I agree, I may not be able to shop, but fraud is visable, Internet Model Trains, I could tell instantly that most of their stuff isn't quality. Some is, but most isn't. Accuallty it's my age, if you've read my older posts, I may of stated I'm only 12 or a preteen. And eBay, That place is awesome, they have stuff you can never find, trust me, when I have a job and have some extra money, I won't buy until I know the best deal. Oh and that 44 ton, I really need one in ATSF, the only reason I'm asking, is because for when I'm older, I'll have a better idea.

-Yes, some of your tips were written down.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Rich
You will no doubt have the 44 apart to install a decoder.  When you do, would you please compare the chassis/running gear to that of the GE 70 Ton?

They appear to be the same, if so it brings up an interesting question.  The 44 is a Spectrum, but only DCC ready and retails for $90.

The GE is not a Spectrum, yet is DCC equipped and sells for only $65.??

I would like a picture of the 44 chassis if we can hook up with email.  I also have some other questions.

Thanks
Bob

Tim

Bob

In reply to your query, the chassis are not the same.

The frame on the 70 ton'r is slightly wider and 3/16th in longer.
Also the wheels are larger diameter than the 44 ton'r.

Wheel dia.  44 ton = .376"  70 ton = .412' .

Sorry a body swap won't work.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Yampa Bob

Hi Tim
I'm not considering a body swap, although I frequently bash bodies.  I use the GE 70 for all my special powered car projects.  Some are pretty weird but lots of fun to build.  I am more concerned about the price disparity between similar units.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4422.0.html

I am just curious about the wheelbase, height profile, and possibility of stretching the two trucks to special lengths.  In other words, instead of chopping a body to fit the chassis, make the chassis adjustable in length.  Stretching chassis are no problem as I make my own driveshafts from R/C car parts. I stretched one for a 40' box car.  

I use the 70 because I buy them for $40 DCC equipped and are easily adaptable.  With extra weight it can pull 20 cars with ease.

Sorry to "pirate" your thread Paul, the note about the 44 caught my attention.

Bob

prebres

SteamGene

Santa Fe,
For a 12 year old your command of written English is quite good.  Better than most of the teens here - with the exception of gg, and a lot of adults, not to mention those whose age remains a total mystery.  I bet you are taking Pre-Algebra, if it's offered in your school, and doing well.  You may tell your L/A teacher that if you want. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"