I dare all you people who love train horns, crank this up.

Started by Santa Fe buff, May 01, 2008, 12:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

In a horn-baned area, this CN train accually you can here it blow the guys speaker, I dare you guys to turn you volume on you CPU, and play the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdM8pKgUOB8
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Stupid Foamer's trespassing, no wonder they blew the horn. What are they going to do, sit tight and hope he doesn't get hit by a train on the track closest to him?
Alex

WoundedBear

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on May 01, 2008, 12:03:07 PM
In a horn-baned area, this CN train accually you can here it blow the guys speaker, I dare you guys to turn you volume on you CPU, and play the video.

How do you figure a speaker blew? Only thing that happened was that the input level hit more than the mike could take and the sound distortion is the result. No speakers involved in making a recording...lol.

Sid

Santa Fe buff

True, but that was kinda funny,
"I'm just going to sit and film"
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Yeah, I think being on the tracks is a go enough reason to blow your horn even in a no horn zone...
I personally like the angel of the camera.
- Joshua Bauer

PRRThomas11

If you think thats good click on Horn Horn Horn 3 in the related videos.

Ya think he's over doing it, just a little?
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Mike

That Horn Horn Horn 3 video might not be so great if the photographer was alone. Who was watching for debris flying from the train? As a conductor with CSX, I was required, when stopped and meeting another train, to hit the ground, Find a safe location, and from a safe location, observe the passing train for defects. I well remember a meet where we were about to leave double track for single track, and I was on the ground observing a train coming from the single to double track. Fortunately I chose to be on the away side of our engine, and slightly down the side of the engine. Fifty or so cars down the passing train was a box car with an open door. As the car passed over the turnout, a long 4x4 bounced out of the box door and hit the front of our engine... exploding into splinters! Needless to say, I was ducking behind the engine... and I quickly revised my concept of a "safe location". As far as I am concerned, anyone standing as close to the passing train as that photographer was, is either uninformed or crazy. That's another reason why telephoto lenses are made!!- Mike

SteamGene

Well, I don't love horns.  I almost sued Comfort Inn last year.  The motel made me sign a waiver stating that I'd been warned that there would be a lot of train WHISLES (it being on the CSX {former C&O} in Ashland, Kentucky.  I complained the next morning that I had heard a lot of HORNS, but no WHISTLES.  The poor people had no idea why the trains were making noise - can you spell "three grade crossings in a row"? ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

grumpy

If you love that sound and you want to hear it every daycome here to my location .I am less than a mile from that sound . That is the transcontinental freight going by.Sometimes it takes at least 15 min to clear the crossing. I prefer steam.
Don

Santa Fe buff

Well reulations are reulations, but I thinks he's just like me- horn happy! ;)
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

This reminds me of story about my train chasing days. I headed west past Buffalo to catch the N&W 2-6-6-4 running. I picked a road crossing and stood on the south east side of the tracks where it crossed a road. I was a safe distance from the tracks and about 75 feet east of the road waiting for the west bound train. I took several shoots as it ran on the roller coaster type tracks heading my way. What a beautiful engine that A was and the whistle was outstanding. It started its warning 2 long a short and a long for the road I was at. Dumb me, He hit that last whistle 75 feet from the road, right where I was standing. No doubt, someone has a picture of me trying to take a picture and cover my ears at the same time. Boy, was that loud! I'm a quick learner and didn't stand on the east side of the road the next time an hour later. I was sitting on ties 200 feet west of the road this time.

Santa Fe buff

Well, some steam locomotives have soft whistles, and some have LOUD ONES.

:D Happened to me, me and my friend trackside on the platform on CN's mainline. My friend does a 'blow your horn thing' and luckey for us, he hits it full blast right when I uncover my ears, the railbeding rocks flew and the ground shook. The co-engineer laughed has it passed. But ever since, my right ear- close to the horn- has slightly less earing then the right, but it isn't much of a different.

:P I really should've had of seen it coming...
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Santa Fe Buff - two warnings, one serious, the other very serious.
Proof read.  You are making lots of typos that spell check does not notice.  Having said your grammar is good doesn't mean you want to close your grammar book.  I still have some close by.
Second.  Get an ear appointment.  The ONLY advantage to having a bad ear is being able to put the good ear on the pillow at night and having the surroundings quieter.  In my case, I have a bad ear and a worse ear.  Hearing is nothing to mess with. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

PRRThomas11

You guys are lucky. I never hear them like that anymore. Where I live, the closest trains are the next town over and there are two crossings within hearing distance. The engineers on New Jersey Transit just go   peep      peep       pip        peep

Next time its a foggy or rainy day and you know a trains coming by, go outside. Sound projects better through water than air and you can hear the horn better. Its pretty cool.

I remember once when I was little, my brother, dad and I heard a steam whistle coming from the place where we usually hear NJT. We drove over and sure enough there was a steam engine parked there by itself waiting for the excursion it was going to pull the next day. There were a couple of railfans there and the engineer was letting the into the cab. Once I got op go up I leaned on the whistle. Thats the coolest sound in the world.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: SteamGene on May 03, 2008, 08:10:21 AM
Santa Fe Buff - two warnings, one serious, the other very serious.
Proof read.  You are making lots of typos that spell check does not notice.  Having said your grammar is good doesn't mean you want to close your grammar book.  I still have some close by.
Second.  Get an ear appointment.  The ONLY advantage to having a bad ear is being able to put the good ear on the pillow at night and having the surroundings quieter.  In my case, I have a bad ear and a worse ear.  Hearing is nothing to mess with. 
Gene

I know why I had typos, I was typing at night, and getting tired.
Oh, Gene, my ear isn't that bad, you may think  it is hard to hear, the different in the 'bad ear' is if I listen to music through headphones, I can bearly tell the different between the good and the bad. And when it happened, my dad took me to get it checked, it wasn't even close to being a minor earing loss...It's so okay, that I sometimes forget that it's slightly lower.

Thanks for worring about me Gene, but you don't have to.
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Buff,
Take it from an old artillery guy - hearing once lost, can't be found.  If you listen with headphones, keep the volume down.  There is already ample evidence of hearing loss among pres and teens.  The problem is the young have a "I'm going to live forever mentality," that is almost universal - I used to VOLUNTEER to go up to firing incidents.  Not a chance today. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat