I dare all you people who love train horns, crank this up.

Started by Santa Fe buff, May 01, 2008, 12:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

We had 5" guns on the Essex and they only fired them a couple of times, for that I'm glad. They were loud. I can't imagine what it must have been like in WWII with all the guns going for protection against jap planes

Santa Fe buff

Gene,
I was just trying to rensure you, just so you knew it wasn't that bad.
okay?
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Anyway,
I found this Microsoft Train Simulator movie on youtube that has all the classics. The Illinois Central EMD E9s I want. In the 1980s, that train ran through my hometown, but stopped at Kankakkee,IL. The depot is part HO, O, and N scale museum, and has old 1950s IC luggage cars with example luggage on it. The middle section is a place use for Kankakkee's office. It was until the mid. 80s, Illinois Central's maine office. The huge Sign on  top still says in perfect condition:
I.C. Offices R.R.
Yes and the last part is the warming house for Amtrak. Occasionally Amtrak's City of New Orlean train stops there seasonally. We do get a lot of freight action with the GTs, which are two Grand Trunk SD20s used for CN's swithing, going about the yard about 100 feet away from the platform. The platform is slightly broken-edged by the track's uneven alinement, and at one end is a broken part of the platform made from a car being hit by a freight train and being dragged until smashed againest the platform. The GTs used to work with an old 1980s centered caboose for IC. But the stove caught fire and now it sits in the yard. They also have an olde passenger car- fully refurbished with plumbing done by my dad- and a ex-UP centered caboose. Oh, and the old Kankakkee street car- stand version- saved and refurbished in a display shed, saved from being scrapped.
The video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r1oDHBsscI

And this:
http://www.kankakeerrmuseum.com/index.htm
- Joshua Bauer