News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Starlight Express National Engines

Started by Simon Greasly, May 05, 2008, 05:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Greasly

first off i'm planning on making a layout based on Andrew Lloyd Webber's famous rock musical starlight express if you do not have any idea what that is get the heck out of here.

it is proving quite troublesome with finding engines in HO scale to represent the National engines. What i'm trying to find is either affordable models that represent the ones i will list below or alternatives.

I need

#1 a French TGV in either the blue or Orange color scheme

#2 an Italian Engine of some type

#3 The German ICE or a cheaper alternative German engine

#4 An HO Shinkansen preferably the 0 or 100 series

#5 a Russian engine

#6 A British engine

Plz help me out in my search
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

Hamish K

TGVs and ICEs (and other German locomotives) have been made by several european makers. Joueff (now part of Hornby International) currently have an orange TGV.

European models  are available in the US and Canada from some shops that import from Europe, although prices can be high. Try searching under brand names, e.g. Liliput (Bachmann's German brand), Roco, Fleischmann, Trix, Lima, Joueff, Rivarossi. Also check Ebay. Be aware that Marklin is 3 rail AC and is not compatible with 2 rail DC. Some of Santa Fe's links show Marklin locos. Also some other european makers  make both 2 and 3 rail versions, so make sure of the version you are buying.

Italian locos are made by Rivarossi and Lima (both part of Hornby International). The Hornby International site has details. Some other european brands have also made the occasional Italian loco.

Russian locos are harder to find but Roco currently have an M62 diesel in Russian livery. For a steam loco you could use the Bachmann decapod 2-10-0. While those modelled by Bachmann are of ones that stayed in the USA, an earlier batch went to Russia before the Russian revolution. During WW2 a large number of a slightly modified version was sent to the USSR to aid their war effort.

Japanese Shinkansen are made by Katsumi (KTR) but these are expensive. Many years ago Lima made the 0 series in HO, these do turn up on Ebay. One of Santa Fe Buff's links show one. Tenshodo made a 500 series (some were distributed in the USA by Bachmann), but these are probably too modern for your project.  Buying a Lima from Ebay is probably your best bet.

British HO is rare, but of course British OO (1.76 scale on HO track) abounds. Bachmann Branchlines and Hornby are the major makers. Models 11 sell Bachmann Branchlines in the USA and have been recommended by the Bach Man on this board. If you choose a small prototype it should not look too out of place with the HO models.

Good luck with your project, it is a very interesting idea.

Hamish

Hamish K

Your project need not be that expensive. Jouef and Lima have some quite affordable models of some of the items you are looking for.  Jouef have a blue TGV starter set from about $85 and there are other sets, including at least one  ICE versions for not that much more.  Individual French, German and Italian locos (not ICE or TGV) are availble from about $45. Both Jouef and Lima have models covering a fairly large price range, obviously the cheaper models are not the same quaity as the dearer versions. Two internet shops in the US with these items are Eurolokshop and Reynaulds Euro Imports. I have not used either so I know little about their service.

The Roco Russian loco I mentioned is about $211, but of course if you take my suggestion of using a Russian decapod as a Russian loco (US made but they did run in Russia) you will be able to pay less.

British Bachmann OO locos seem to start at about $90 for a tank or a diesel and $100  for a tender loco.

As I imentioned before, you will probably need to rely on Ebay for the Japanese Shinkansen (it would be different in N!). I have no idea of what they go for.

You may be able to beat these prices from other shops or on Ebay, but you shouldn't need to pay more than the above.

Hamish

Simon Greasly

well thank you all for your help i'll keep my eyes open on Ebay for that darn shinkansen. However if I cannot find one any of you have any other sugestions for nationalities. I was thinking of using the LRC to represent Canada.
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

Santa Fe buff

Wait, you mean Canada Rail? the passenger company?
- Joshua Bauer

Simon Greasly

Yes VIA rail canada but i'm also looking for other nationailty suggestions.