News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rivarossi 4-4-0

Started by Mr. Gumby, March 03, 2007, 10:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Gumby

I recently bought a Rivarossi 4-4-0(V&T Iyno) that's motor is shot. How exactly do I replace it, or should I buy a new one?  ???
Thanks!
~Mr. Gumby~  :D

TwinZephyr

I would recommend replacing the motor with a high quality can motor such as those sold by NorthWest Short Line.  This will make a huge improvement in the model's performance.  You will need to ensure the driveshaft socket location does not change relative to the tender floor.

Which motor do you have?  The old motor in a metal can that is as wide as the tender or the smaller can-like motor with a plastic motor mount?

rikc9

I did that to a couple Bachmann 4-4-0s with tender drives. With tender pickups and modified driver wheel bearings they run very well. Actually I bought replacement can motors from Mantua before they closed up. I did that also to a General. I have a small "can" motor out of an old CD rom drive for a third Bachmann 4-4-0.  It has a 1.5mm shaft. NWSL has a good variety of motors and the shaft adapters if you need them. Some small pieces of styrene gave the proper angle for the motor.
http://www.nwsl.com/
The online catalog can be difficult to read but be patient.
Three replacement motors are Mabuchi FK-050SH. Do a Google search. They measure 30 mm x 12 mm x 15.5 mm x 1.5 mm shaft, flat can motor.
The one out of the CD rom measures 28 mm x 12 mm x 16 mm X 1.5mm shaft.

rikc9

HOplasserem80c

i got a riverossi 4-4-0 today and the coupler fell off. there is no box to put it in and it looks like it was held in place by a pin but that pin won't fit so what should i do? also what is the tender coulpler one yours held in with? mine is a A.T.S.F. i have the giant metal can motor

TwinZephyr

There are two holes in the coupler depression (it's not really a box) of the 4-4-0 tender frame.  The original coupler pin should fit the outer hole.

BTW, a McHenry coupler easily fits the Rivarossi tender when the original coupler pin is used with a Kadee coupler box cover.