News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax Drive

Started by RRartie, May 03, 2008, 09:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRartie

Sometimes when my Climax derails the square metal rod drops out of the plastic channel on the front drive. This is the part of the drive train that powers the cylinders from the front motor. I have to roll it on its back and turn the trucks at an extreme angle to reconnect the drive. It looks like the rod or plastic sleeve are too short. Does anyone have a permanent fix for this problem. Of course I could derail less, but the grand kids have a habit of backing into the end of track bumpers at speed.

Thank you Art

Jon D. Miller

Art,
I don't think the slip joint, either component, is too short.  It takes the truck moving to the extreme, either left or right, to cause the slip joint to disengage.

You might try a modification that would limit the swing of the truck left and right.  This would only work if you are running on larger radius curves. If running on four foot diameter then limiting the amount the truck can pivot will probably not work.

I did extent the front and rear pilot beam by adding another beam under the existing one.  By having the beams extented they limit the extreme amount the truck can pivot since the truck will hit the beam before it gets to its extreme movement either right or left.   Down side is that now the truck can not be rotated as far.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

RRartie

I see! The fix was in front of me all the time.

I am converting the Climax to Kadee couplers and hadn't done the front couple. There is a couple pocket reinforcement part in the Kadee packet that mounts on the back of the pilot beam. It will stop the front truck from swiveling so far. Now back to the bench to install it.

Thank you for the reply

Art