News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MTH HO Triplex Drive Wheels

Started by chuff_n_puff, May 07, 2008, 05:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

I just found out the hard way that MTH's HO Triplex has dummy axels on the tender. I was lead to believe it had 12 live drive axels. MTH's owners manual calls them drive axels, when in fact they are just for looks. The old saying "what you don't know won't hurt you" doesn't apply hear. If I had known that, I would have not spent that much money on one! I just thought prospective buyers might want to know this!

Dr EMD

Oh My.

My SD40 has an electric motor in it!! They said it was a diesel-electric!!
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

chuff_n_puff

Dr EMD, But I thought when it was worded as "drive axels" it drove something, not just ride along! I bought it for more pulling power on a long coal train. I already got a Trix Big Boy with 8 drive axels. With its weight and length, it has more pulling power than this Triplex.

r.cprmier

Chuff;

Maybe you ought to pay more attention to what you are shelling out your money for.  There is an expression called "Question Authority", and it carries through to all aspects of life that will affect you; otherwise, the expression "Caveat Emptor" does hold a ring of truth, now doesn't it?

The Old Reprobate
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

I'm sure this was done on purpose to make the model just as big a flop as the prototype.

Sheldon

SteamGene

In real life the Big Boy had more pulling power than any of the Triplexes.  I'm not sure of the length of the Triplex, but I believe it's much shorter  something along the lines of a USRA 2-6-6-2.  It's a "small" engine.  BTW, if you decided to build a layout that is consistent, having a UP Big Boy and an Erie Triplex together is going to present some few problems. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Gene;
If you were doing a layout even vaguely based on prototype, why would you have both the triplex and big boy on the same track?

...Or, hows this?  "And now, the further adventures of Bog Boy, and his friend Trilopetes"?

Ye Olde reprobate
Rich

SteamGene

Rich,
That was what I was trying to point out to Chuff.  He says he has one of each.  But then, I'm like Sheldon - I buy what I think my railroad needs:  No N&W J, no Big Boy, no Cab Forward, no Milwaukee Road A, etc. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
As you know, I share your point of view.  My point was that both the Big Boy and the Triplex each were indigenous to only one road; the triplex two.  In that sense, it is illogical to run both simultaneously-foreign to/or-  on a prototype based road.  To me it would be like running a Milw. Little Joe on a Bill Aldrich's New Haven layout and say it is OK, because it is a motor.
Rich

Woody Elmore

I never bought anything in HO unless I had some information about it. Both Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman review new releases. I know that there are folks who question the voracity of the reviews but one would certainly tell you if all 12 "axels" were powered.

The advantage of buying in a hobby shop is that you could ask for a demo.

Wasn't the original Erie triplex used in helper service only? I know that the Southern had a triplex (they put the mechanism of a consolidation under the tender.) This engine was used as a helper and pusher.

SteamGene

Woody,
I don't think the Southern had a Triplex.  The Virginian did and they soon turned it into two Mikes (it was a 2-8-8-8-?.  I think the Erie had other plans for their two, but was forced to relegate it to helper service almost as soon as it hit the property.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

chuff_n_puff

I think prototype is not even in MTH’s vocabulary. I don’t even think they have a prototype screw in their O gauge line! But then again I have never seen a magnetic coupler on any real train! I think they even have air hoses to couple up too! So is there any model train on the market that is a true prototype?

Woody Elmore

The MTH O gauge line is tinplate and tinplate is not built to scale. Lionel took many liberties with there models including offering 2-6-4 engines as well as shortened GG-1s and passenger cars.

As for the Southern Triplex - a search of my references shows that there was no such thing but I would have testified in court that one did exist. I do know they experimented with consolidation mechanisms under tenders.

japasha

Gene is correct on the Southern Railway. They had 2-8-2+2-8-0 locomotives that were mikados with an older 2-8-0 frame and machinery under the tender. They failed for the same reason as the triplex, not enough steam from the boilers to run both sets of machinery when needed. The Southgern never owned a triplex and only owned a few articulateds.
For what the Southern wanted, a Franklin booster would have been more practical.

r.cprmier

For what the Southern wanted, a Franklin booster would have been more practical.

Then why wasn't it done?
Rich