News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC problem/question.

Started by JWBDolphins, February 27, 2007, 11:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWBDolphins

I grew up in the 70's with a Tyco HO train set, and this Christmas Santa Claus brought my son a Bachmann starter set to get him started in trains.

But we have recently upgraded to DCC (so Dad can play too!  :P) and we're having a problem.  I bought two Bachmann DCC locos (models 60147 and 60701) and a Digitrax Zephyr.  But I cannot get the Zephyr to change Anything in the locos - the first thing I tried to do was change the address of one of the locos, and no matter what I tried I kept getting the "d nd" error meaning an open circuit exists somewhere.  After an hour of running several permutations of programming track, normal track, 2-digit addressing, 4-digit addressing, etc, One of the locos was able to change its address but I received no visual confirmation that it had happened.

I have not been able to change the other loco's address, nor change the first loco to any Other number.  Reading and Writing CV's be it on the main line or programming track also returns the same error.  The Only thing I've been able to do was change one locos address once (which actually worked out because at least we can now run two trains).

Other than being unable to read and write values to the locos, everything else seems to be working.  My long-winded explanation comes down to really just one question.  I'm 99% sure I have a defective Digitrax Zephyr, but does anyone here know if the problem Could be with my Bachmann locos?  If only one loco had a problem, I would be more inclined to think that.  But from what I can tell, there should not be any problem reading and writing to these locos with the Digitrax Zephyr system, correct?

Thanks for your time!

Jim Banner

This is a common problem with the Digitrax Zephyr when programming Lenz and Lenz type decoders like Bachmann uses.  The solution is to buy a 1000 ohm resistor and connect it across your programming track.  I soldered an alligator clip to each end of my resistor so that I could easily clip it on the rails and unclip it again.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

JWBDolphins

Excellent!,  Thanks Jim!, I certainly would not have thought to do that!

I'll head to Radio Shack tomorrow and see what I can do!

JWBDolphins

A peruse through the basement uncovered an old Heathkit that has a 1000 ohm resistor.  A quick jumper from it to the track, and it worked Perfectly!

Thanks again for the help, my son will be thrilled!!   :D

Jim Banner

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.