N Gauge Coupler Compatibility Atlas to Bachmann, Athern to Bachmann, etc.

Started by Emile, April 28, 2008, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emile

Can anyone tell me which N gauge rolling stock couplers are compatible to other N gauge rolling stock couplers.  I am 70 years old new at Model Railroading buiilding a layout for my Great-Grandson.  The couplers for Atlas, Bachmann, Model Power, Athearn, Walthers, eyc.

SteamGene

I'm not an N gauger, but couplers are compatable as long as they are of the same type.  By that, N gauge has a non realistic standard coupler and a realistic knuckle coupler.  As long as you stick with the same type, you will be fine. 
Enjoy working with your great grandson.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

Newer stock from the manufacturers you just mentioned all come with knuckle couplers. However, older equipment may come with Rapido couplers, which are not compatible with the knuckle couplers. The only way to know for certain is to see the model itself.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

SteamGene

I assume it's as easy to swap the Rapido for the knuckle as it is to swap the horn hook for the Kadee in HO.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

More or less. However, there are a few odballs out there (mainly some of the Life-Like and Con-Cor stuff from a decade ago) that are virtually impossible to convert. Micro-Trains (the N-Scale Kadee) has some instructions on their site for conversions, but they are not nearly as helpful as they could be.

Timothy
Timothy

hobo1

easier to replace the trucks with atlas 100 ton roller bearing trucks with knuckle couplers

Conrail Quality

Quote from: hobo1 on May 09, 2008, 09:57:12 PM
easier to replace the trucks with atlas 100 ton roller bearing trucks with knuckle couplers

But what if it's a locomotive? Or a passenger car?

Timothy
Timothy