News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Airfield and Train Diorama's

Started by cannonball, May 10, 2008, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

Hey guys, Has Anyone ever done an Airfield Diorama with a Any Scale Model Railroad Set up? Been Kinda Curious.

Santa Fe buff

We you can probaby get measurement of the modeling airport, then scale I down to your scale, use pictures and writen diagrams to help you recreate the airport, or just buy an airport kit!
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

First question is: how large an airport?  You want to do Dallas-Fort Worth, or Lawton Airport and Municipal Cow Pasture? 
In any event, either selective compressing or the runway going off the layout is in order.  Probably actually "and" and not "or."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

cannonball

I'm thinking about the size of a Small Military Airfield. Unsure about scale though. does that Help?

Santa Fe buff

A time era may help with that. Airports expland and therefore change size, the time era is very critcal.
- Joshua Bauer

RAM

I think i saw a N scale layout that had an airport.

Mike

Last Saturday my friends and I went to a hobby store in Wilson, NC. I believe it was called the Antique Barn & Train Shop. Upstairs they had a large HO club layout with a large airport/air museum at one end. The tracks ran around the outside of the hangars and runways, at a lower level. When I asked a member what the newest construction was going to be, he said they were about to replace the airfield/museum with three other modules. You could probably contact them through their listing in the back of Model Railroader.- Mike

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

Paul M.

Quote from: SteamGene on May 10, 2008, 06:52:22 PM
First question is: how large an airport?  You want to do Dallas-Fort Worth, or Lawton Airport and Municipal Cow Pasture? 
In any event, either selective compressing or the runway going off the layout is in order.  Probably actually "and" and not "or."
Gene

D/FW has the world's largest parking lot!

There's a private airport near here with houses within 20 feet of the runway, and the BNSF line on the other side.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

taz-of-boyds

Just for general scale of things:

2500' runway in N scale is 15' 7 1/2" long (a tiny airport)
5000':      31' 3" (a medium like runway)
12,000':   75'     (a regular runway for the big planes)

I saw an airport diorama that was much smaller than any of these at the Oklahoma train show.  There were moving blades on a plane and helicopter I believe.  And some runway lights blinking etc.  And there were a couple of airport buildings; hangers, control tower.

Have fun!
Charles

barrowsr

Yes,

I built a Korean war era modular display 12 feet long when I was part of a club in Northern Virginia.  Here is the link:  http://www.pwmrc.org/freefest2004/fFest-101504-079-Ew.jpg

I did a little deviating by adding Honest John rocket launchers to the Army side of the display.   The aircraft in the background are 1/72 scale because it is hard to get quality HO scale kits.  Not wanting to leave the Navy out - I found that .22 caliber 55 grain bullets were a pretty good approximation of 16 projectiles;  staged on the loading dock.  It was fun and I look forward to doing something similar on my home layout.
Robin

Santa Fe buff

Good, you guys are figuring out airports.
How about the planes?
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

"Yes, he HoJo was several years after the '50-53 Korean War. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on May 19, 2008, 02:41:28 PM
Good, you guys are figuring out airports.
How about the planes?

There were some Walthers kits, you can probably find them on eBay or a dusty shelf at your LHS...

If not a 1:96 plane model wouldn't look bad...

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Walther's had some WWII aircraft a while back - I remember a Bf-109 and a C-47 as two examples.  1:72 might do in a pinch.  I've got some 1:72 Japanese fuel trucks which look like a barnyard kitbash and the small size of the truck makes it look okay in HO. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat