News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

American Freedom Train

Started by Rickenbacker 325, May 13, 2008, 06:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

I just got an American Freedom Train by Bachmann Plus. I went to a train show on May 10 (a.k.a. National Train Day ). I am a member their and I brought the engine. I ran it for about 20 minutes an it when very slow and made secreting sound. please help!!!

SteamGene

Unfortunately, you seem to have bought one of the old Bochmann locomotives, the kind that gave Bachmann a bad reputation for years.  About the only thing you can do is to buy the Bowser retrofit mechanism and motor.  That has saved many of them.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear James,
Actually,you may not buy a second-hand, out-of-production locomotive and trade it in for a new one.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

Rickenbacker 325

can I send it in for a newer version  ???

Conrail Quality

Quote from: James The Brave on May 14, 2008, 04:56:50 PM
can I send it in for a newer version  ???

No, you can't. If you could, people would be buying up the dirt-cheap, poor-quality versions to trade in for the better versions. Bachmann loses money in that arraingment. Hence, the trade-in rule.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Pacific Northern

I assume with a Bachmann Plus steamer your only option will be to send the engine in with the $15.00 fee along with a note indicating the problem to the service department and hope that they can fix it.
Pacific Northern

Conrail Quality

Quote from: Pacific Northern on May 14, 2008, 08:59:33 PM
I assume with a Bachmann Plus steamer your only option will be to send the engine in with the $15.00 fee along with a note indicating the problem to the service department and hope that they can fix it.

No, that is not an option. The Bachmann Plus line is out of production, so Bachmann's warranty does not cover it. This is done for the reason I stated in a previous post. He can either live with the locomotive as it is, buy the Bowser repowering kit, or buy the new version of the locomotive.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

SteamGene

Actually, for an original owner of a Plus, the warranty is still in effect.  The problem is that it's second hand.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

BaltoOhioRRfan

Heres a suggestion, Shelf the Plus unit(IE in a display case) and buy one of the new ones the new ones run really nicely.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Rickenbacker 325

But I dont want to get a new one. >:( >:( I just got the other one a week ago :'( The one I have now has smoke. No DCC. Will the new model have smoke AND DCC. :-\ :-\ I Dont know what to do :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

kevin2083

I think the general suggestion would be to not use smoke. It will leave an oily residue all over anything the layout and anything near the layout. A good efficient running steamer with a well laid fire would have almost no visible smoke anyway. you will want to remove the smoke unit so it doesn't draw current and heat up (posibly causing the plastic to warp and deform).

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Yeah, the smoke is generally considered to be a bad idea. If the heat from the smoke generator doesn't melt the plastic, it's likely that the smoke fluid will. The smoke fluid also strips paint and lettering. :-\

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific