"Model Train Help" By Robert Anderson

Started by djp, May 11, 2008, 05:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Has anyone downloaded this ebook? It is for about $40 so i would like some feedback before i take the plunge. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

I've considered but rejected this so far.   No add in MR, MRC, or any other mag says a fair amount to me.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

djp

Hmm sounds a little off to me too. What i am looking for is a good all rounder book that covers everything even if it is a wee bit expensive. So far i have not seen any.
Get Off My Train !!!

Santa Fe buff

Your way better off buying or subscribing to Model Railroader, they are pros and know what they are doing. Go to Trains.com for an online subscribsion.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

I visited Mr. Anderson's site, I was amused at the "closely guarded secrets" note.  Also, how can an ebook be sold out?  He claims to have spent $1800 on research, if I was paid by the hour for all the research I've done in a year I would have about $100,000 or more.

I don't begrudge anyone trying to turn a hobby into an enterprise, but it reminds me of the late night programming about how to get rich with no investment. Well, just one investment, you have to "buy my book".

I recommend specialty books from manufacturers, for example Woodland Scenics has great manuals and videos about scenery. 

The free Right Track Software from Atlas lets you practice with layouts, as simple or as elaborate as you want.

As for general "how to",  a search of this forum will provide lots of tutorials. If you have a local club, you will find many willing and eager to help.

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

djp

Yep, thats true. This forum has helped me to no ends. I have learned a great deal. Thanks guys, you have just saved me from throwing away 40 bucks.
Get Off My Train !!!

ebtnut

A visit to a good model railroad-oriented shop should yield a selection of good how-to books on general modeling, bridges, scenery, era modeling, etc.  Check out Kalmbach's and Carstens' web sites for available titles.