News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Coaches

Started by Pacific Northern, May 15, 2008, 03:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Some time back there was an announcement of sorts that the current Spectrum Heavyweight coaches were being phased out.

What will Bachmann be introducing for coaches in the heavyweight series? Are new improved models on the way?

I see in the latest Model Railroader magazine one of the larger model railroad vendors is blowing out sets of the heavy weight coaches sets at a major discount.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

I think the trend is back to smaller cars, possibly due to the increasing percentage of smaller layouts. 

I'd like to have a Super Chief, El Capitan,  or Zephyr setup, but no way can I run those long cars on my 4 X 8.  I have a few 50' freight cars, and they don't even look good on 18", and barely match up to 22".

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
The coaches are out of production pending a new mold; the old one failed last run.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on May 15, 2008, 11:38:35 PM
Dear PN,
The coaches are out of production pending a new mold; the old one failed last run.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

I assume then that the new models would be new and improved?
Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

Pacific,

What would you like to see improved? The Bachmann coach is a nice model as is and any change would most likely mean changing tooling for other parts that the coach shares with the other car types in the line - not a likely out come.

Sheldon

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Atlantic Central on May 16, 2008, 04:58:27 PM
Pacific,

What would you like to see improved? The Bachmann coach is a nice model as is and any change would most likely mean changing tooling for other parts that the coach shares with the other car types in the line - not a likely out come.

Sheldon

New and improved would be an assumption on my part. As these coaches are a few years old I would imagine they could still be improved.

I have a couple of the Spectrum sets which are also illuminated and am quite happy with them. While my mainline is confined to a 22" radius in some places these coaches track well.

Pacific Northern

sour rails

;) A few added road names would be nice, too, especially the Nickel Plate Road.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

Daylight4449

rmy problem is  that i don't think they run on 18 inch radius alot of light weight  dont.

hgcHO

I second the  Nickel Plate Road......

hgcHO

Atlantic Central

Pacific Northern,

To assume that everything can or should be improved, or that everything newer is better, shows a lack of understanding of technology.

While many things can and are improved with new ideas, new materials or advances in manufacturing processes, some things where truely perfected many years ago.

I will use a non model railroad example - the common door inside your home. While many today are made of compsite or made made materials, that is done to lower cost, not make the door "better". The very best doors are still solid wood panel doors - a product developed and perfected more than 100 years ago.

No modern technology has yet to replace this craftsmanship as being the best performing and longest lasting, not to mention most beautiful door you can have in your home.

In the model train world, Athearn is still using much tooling they developed in the 1950's and 1960's. It was cutting edge then and still holds it own today in the price range of similar products with brand new tooling from Bachmann or Atlas.

Newer is not always better and not everything can be made better just by "doing it over". Often it just results in different, not better.

Sheldon

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Daylight4449 on May 17, 2008, 06:48:25 PM
rmy problem is  that i don't think they run on 18 inch radius alot of light weight  dont.

I have a few sets of the Bachmann Spectrum Coaches and over the years there appears to have been a few changes regarding the placement of the couplers.

The latest run has the couplers mounted on the body and the coupler boxes also pivot slightly.

I would assume of the various releases this particular setup would handle tighter radius curves than previous releases.

Pacific Northern