News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum snd/dcc equipped 4-6-0

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, May 15, 2008, 08:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Have been looking at the Snd equipped 10 wheeler since it came out,Can anyone tell me' does it come with light steam or med steam sound?
Rocky Lives

richG

All I could find in the Bachmann Quick Start Guide is the decoder is matched to the type of locomotive.

Rich

sparkyjay31

Where did you find it?  All I have been able to find is that it will be available in May...
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

richG

All I found was the Bachmann quick start guide, not the loco. The document was buried in the SoundTraxx site.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

Do not know if it is still valid.

Rich

Mark Damien

If anyone acquires one of these, can they tell me if the chuff sound is synchronized or not.

Since all the other Bachmann/Tsunami OEM installations are not sync'd, I don't hold much hope, but maybe they have worked something out in the interim.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

richG

Quote from: Mark Damien on May 17, 2008, 10:22:15 PM

If anyone acquires one of these, can they tell me if the chuff sound is synchronized or not.

Since all the other Bachmann/Tsunami OEM installations are not sync'd, I don't hold much hope, but maybe they have worked something out in the interim.

The chuff is not synchronized. I have the Spectrum 4-4-0.

Rich

Mark Damien

[quote ]

Rich
[/quote]

Thanks Rich,

I was going to trade my non sound locos in on a few new Tsunami versions, but if the chuff is not sync'd, there's really no point.

I might buy one of the Quantum Revolution systems & see if that will 'chuff in time'. Using Bemf, they are pretty good on the BLi's, so I may be lucky there.

Cheers.
Mark

Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

richG

I believe you can adjust the CV for chuff rate. I have not seen what CVs can be adjusted with the Bachmann supplied sound loco. I know the Tsunami's I installed can be adjusted to match the cylinders, though the chuff rate is not linear. If I adjust at a slow speed, as I increase the throttle the sync changes. From what I have read so far, sound decoders cannot be syncd at all speeds. You need a cam for this. The Micros I installed have a external sync capability. Others may have some input.

Rich

Ozzie21

A tsnumai can be tuned by altering a few of the CV's and the chuff an be synched better. It would take to long to explain so if you followthis link this explanation should iron out the wrinkles.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/lobby/u_tsunami.htm

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: Mark Damien on May 23, 2008, 10:12:11 PM
[quote ]

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I was going to trade my non sound locos in on a few new Tsunami versions, but if the chuff is not sync'd, there's really no point.

I might buy one of the Quantum Revolution systems & see if that will 'chuff in time'. Using Bemf, they are pretty good on the BLi's, so I may be lucky there.

Cheers.
Mark

[/quote]

SteamGene

If you can alter CVs, you can alter the chuff rate.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Mark Damien

Quote from: SteamGene on May 28, 2008, 02:43:18 PM
Gene

That's true.

But unfortunately, the OEM Tsunami's chuff rate is linked to the throttle & not the anything the loco is doing.
I have corrected the chuff on several Tsunami OEM locos, but as soon as you apply any load [incline or cars]; or remove any load [decline] the throttle position is changed & therefore the chuff is running at a different rate.

So I guess, if you get rid of all that boring stuff like freight & passenger cars, shunting, inclines etc - I mean, what's wrong with running your Tsunami OEM loco light, on a billiard table smooth flat surface?.......?

Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Hoople

Quote from: Mark Damien on May 29, 2008, 03:53:34 AM
Gene

But unfortunately, the OEM Tsunami's chuff rate is linked to the throttle & not the anything the loco is doing.

Yes, this is true. You can put the tender on the track and open up the throttle and watch the tender do nothing but it sounds like it's doing full speed.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

richG

Quote from: Mark Damien on May 29, 2008, 03:53:34 AM
Gene

That's true.

I have corrected the chuff on several Tsunami OEM locos, but as soon as you apply any load [incline or cars]; or remove any load [decline] the throttle position is changed & therefore the chuff is running at a different rate.

Yes, and there is no smoke coming from the smoke stack or steam from safety valve or whistle.
Sometimes no engine crews either.

Rich

Mark Damien

Seriously though, QSi, MRC & ESU  OEM installations chuff at, or very near to, the correct rate.
So maybe I am expecting too much from Tsunami OEM - though not according to their advertising.
Anyone who has a Blackstone K27, knows just how good a Tsunami can be when the chuff is sync'd.

Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Mark Damien

Quote from: Hoople on May 29, 2008, 11:47:04 AM

Yes, this is true. You can put the tender on the track and open up the throttle and watch the tender do nothing but it sounds like it's doing full speed.

You don't actually have to remove the loco, just add a load & listen to it chuff it's smokebox off, without turning a wheel.  ;)

Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark