News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

athearn rdc

Started by Daylight4449, May 16, 2008, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I just bought one of the old athearn rdc-3 units and after much work i got the drive belts on. my problem is when I run it the bands gradually move turning the trucks and yanking the loco of the rails. does anyone no how to fix it.

Mike

Try twisting the belts in the other direction.

Daylight4449

the problem is that would reverse the direction it goes.

Woody Elmore

Good Luck! Those belt drive RDCs (I think Athearn called it "Hi F"drive) were real dogs. When they worked properly the RDC ran at about 200 mph! The rubber bands would break, or work themselves up and down the shaft.

I would suggest you look into getting NWSL spud  drive and junk the Athearn mechanism.

Mike

Guess what... If you reverse both bands and find that it reverses the loco, all you have to do is reverse the polarity of the power to make the engine reverse!

Daylight4449

yeah but i run a dc block wired layout. so all locos will get power the same

japasha

Ernst made a gear conversion for the RDC that not only slows it down but makes it a smoother runner. They only power one end of the RDC with the kit however I have installed two and they do work well.

Daylight4449

thanks it might be worth selling. i thought i was  great getting it for 20.00 but it is causing trouble.

Guilford Guy

Alex

Daylight4449

you know nobody really told me how to fix the rdc i have they just said buy a new one.  i have no money for a new one. please at least tell me where i can get the conversion kit

Conrail Quality

http://www.enginetender.com/259m.htm

At $10 for the conversion kit, you would probably be better of buying a new one for a little bit more. The new Proto 1000 ones look and run much better than the old Athearn ones.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Daylight4449

whoa! way too much, looks like a shelf life for my rdc... sigh.

Guilford Guy

A P1k RDC goes for 15$ on trainworld. The MSRP is 60$, but can be had for much less.
Alex

Dr EMD

It's not scale length anyway (72'?).

Get the PK1 for 85 feet of RDC for only $5.00 more than the regear kit (if you can find one).
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)