News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A++ for Bachmann

Started by johnd, May 17, 2008, 07:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnd

I had bought a Steam Locomotive from an eBay store. Ran for about 5 minutes and one of the Wheel Rods (? terminology) feel off - derailed and bent the rod. I sent it to Backmann. Got a personal telephone call saying they did not have the parts to fix it and if it was OK to send me a DCC Heavy Mountain. Just got it a couple of hours OK.

Now here is my problem. I am running DC. After running the Heavy Mountain for maybe 10 minutes or so - it stops. I noticed that the tender is very warm. If I let it cool down  - its off and running again - heats up and stops.  I am thinking that maybe this engine doesn't like DC. I have read somewhere that not all DCC engines will run on DC.

Here is the "QUESTION":

Can I remove the DCC board in the tender and have a DC engine???????

SteamGene

If you have a DCC On board USRA heavy Mountain running it on DC shouild not bother it at all.  However, you should find a small package with two "U" shaped jumper pins.  Remove the decoder and install the jumper pins.  Somebody else should be able to tell you which holes the jumpers go into. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

I always give Bachmann an A+++++++. That's why I'm on this forum.
- Joshua Bauer

johnd

Called Bachmann Service  Department and I explained my problem. He told me how to remove the decoder. Problem was that the decoder was hardwired so I can't simple unplug it and install the jumpers. Called Bachmann again and he told me to send the engine back for repair.

This is the most fun and frustrating hobby I have ever been involved with. Working on my Alfa Romeo Spider is easier. ::)