News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc on George Washington

Started by terry train, May 18, 2008, 09:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry train

I had nothing but problems with my George engine from day1. It would not run on dcc, even after being sent back to Bachmann 3 times. They even replaced the engine and still had the same problem. Well I fixed what they could not. I remove the factory wire and board and built on myself and added sound to the engine. I can now run the George on my layout.
I wish to thank everyone for the suggestions and advice. I just wish Bachmann would have solved the problem in the first place

SteamGene

I was not aware that the J-2 in the George Washington set was DCC on board.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ozzie21

Did you fit a decoder from day 1 as the GW set was only DCC ready which means you supply and fit your own decoder.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: terry train on May 18, 2008, 09:34:54 AM
I had nothing but problems with my George engine from day1. It would not run on dcc, even after being sent back to Bachmann 3 times. They even replaced the engine and still had the same problem. Well I fixed what they could not. I remove the factory wire and board and built on myself and added sound to the engine. I can now run the George on my layout.
I wish to thank everyone for the suggestions and advice. I just wish Bachmann would have solved the problem in the first place

terry train

It came dcc ready. Which it was really not! I had to do what Backmann failed to do in the first place!

Ozzie21

Terry, there is a big difference when the loco is DCC ready as opposed to DCC ON BOARD. Most Bachmann DCC ready locos will after the fitting of a suitable decoder run pretty well on DCC. Those that come with DCC ON BOARD or DCC SOUND will run straight out of the box but generally require some tweaking of the CV's to fine tune the loco.  All this is a compromise so the model will meet the relevant standards that apply in the various countries where it is sold. 

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: terry train on June 07, 2008, 09:17:08 AM
It came dcc ready. Which it was really not! I had to do what Backmann failed to do in the first place!

richG

Quote from: terry train on June 07, 2008, 09:17:08 AM

"DCC ready" means the motor is isolated and has an NMRA 8 pin connector, at least for Spectrum locos. DCC Equipped means it has a decoder but no sound. I bought the Spectrum 4-4-0 DCC equipped about a year ago. The PC board had a decoder (NO sound) plugged into the light board.
I have bought three "DCC READY" Roundhouse locos. They need a decoder plugged into the 9 pin JST connector to run on DCC

You cannot expect Bachmann to add a decoder.

Here is some good reading material to better understand DCC.
Put the link into your Favorites folder for future reference.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/index.htm

R%ich