News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dummy coupolar

Started by Daylight4449, May 18, 2008, 11:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

Does ayone know how to change the dummy cupolar to a real kd one, much appreciated.

Daylight4449

forgot to mention this is for the 0-6-0 family, like a prarie, 0-6-0 and mogul. and my model power 0-4-0 tank. i love double headers and the the slope back  tender coming at you.

SteamGene

I assume you mean "coupler." 
The EASIEST way to install a working front coupler for the Bachmann X-6-X is to get the complete pony assembly for the Proto 0-6-0 or 0-8-0, remove the Bachmann pony, and install the Proto as a kitbash.  I've done this on two Bachmann 0-6-0s.  Contact Proto for availability and price. 
Trying to install a coupler to the Bachmann pilot is possible, but I could find no way to make it neat.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

well thanks anyway. i have no budget to buy parts and yes, i can't spell copular  (wrong again) but i really want to do this to my 0-6-0. My prarie has a short haul tender and my 0-6-0  has a slope back. switching them won't work because they both have th same pilot.

Daylight4449

by the way i, i still want to know how to change it.  and where to find parts as a last resort.

Daylight4449

i have my 0-6-0 in front of me and i think the dummy is cut able but that leaves nowhere for a coupler pocket. where can i get pilots that can be easily attatched for a last resort

Daylight4449

will anything work that can be simply done along the lines of drilling it out, what was your method.

Jhanecker2

I believe there was a section on how to replace a dummy coupling in A Kalmbach book titled : How to repair and maintain model railroads. I have a copy in the shop office but keep forgeting to look at it when I'm in there.

richG

I use the Kadee 711 Old Time coupler. I use the 711 with the #5 Kadee couplers. It is a fair amount of work but I like tinkering until it works. Here are a couple photos of a Spectrum 0-6-0 that I am slowly working on. You need to do some filing of the frame since the coupler is slightly larger and it is not quite high enough yet. A Dremel with a grinding tool will help. I also sand the sides of the coupler on a sanding block.
I have done this with a Spectrum 4-4-0, two Roundhouse 2-6-0s, a Roundhouse 4-4-0 and a Roundhouse 2-8-0. A few years ago I used the 711 coupler for an old time IHC HO scale loco. The cow catcher was ready for a coupler. With DCC, I can bring a helper loco up to the caboose while both locos are moving and then stop at the top of the hill and manually uncouple. Nice challenge.

http://kadee.com/htmbord/page63.htm

Rich

Daylight4449

thanks, i wish that there was an easier way but thats life. i don't have dcc, too expensive instead i block section my dc layout but what yo are doing sounds cool.

japasha

This method is for the steady of hand. I snip the exisiting dummy couple from the pilot. I then drill a hole the approximate size of a Kadee #5 shank. I cut the mount end off leaving a shank. I insert the shank into the pilot and ajust for height. I then ACC the shank to the pilot.

While this does not have swing side to side, the short wheelbase of the 0-6-0/2-6-2 works fine with most cars.

I have rebuilt the 2-6-2 pilots as in the other illustration when I lengthen it to accomdate 28 inch pilot wheels. The standard pilot wheels on the 2-6-2 are far too small to be close to any prototype.

The Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 is a very reasonable model of the prototype but inexpensively made. The later mechanisms are actually very good.

Daylight4449

cool! i might try that on my 0-6-0