News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 loco

Started by bonzy69, May 19, 2008, 04:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonzy69

A couple of questions regarding a loco I purchased a few days ago. The box included a VHS tape which is supposed to provide instructions, lubrication directions, as well as some history on the locomotive. The tape does not work on my video machine ( in Australia) presumably because it has a UK or US format. Otherwise the loco comes with no instructions. Do you know if Bachmann can provide the contents of this video in a format that I can access? No smoke fluid was enclosed in the shipment. Was it removed to satisfy shipping rules?

I have been struggling to get the sound going on my loco. I have managed to work out that I need a battery in the tender and I think I’ve connected the wires to the loco fine, but there is no sound. When I short the sound connector to the tender the correct whooshing noise comes out. But, it seems that there is a problem with the loco in providing the necessary short circuits as the wheels go round. Maybe I’m missing something here, but I suspect strongly that there is a manufacturing fault with the loco. I would like to get this system operating properly. Please advise on all of the above.

Mike

The 9 volt battery, as you have surmized, goes in the tender. After plugging the connector wires from the tender into the engine, you need to switch on the sound switch on the rear of the loco. (flat surface at the rear of the cab floor... on mine the switch is red.) Some of mine have a volume control pot on the bottom of the tender. The switch for the smoke unit is behind the smoke box cover on the front of the loco. (rotate the latch bolt on the rim of the somke box cover.) Operating the loco with the smoke unit on and no smoke oil will burn out the smoke generator. Enjoy your trains!- Mike

bonzy69

Thanks Mike.  Sound still not working.  May have to send it back to Bachmann but from Australia it will cost a fair bit.

altterrain

President of

scottychaos

Quote from: bonzy69 on May 20, 2008, 05:14:49 PM
Thanks Mike.  Sound still not working.  May have to send it back to Bachmann but from Australia it will cost a fair bit.

its not worth it..
you arent missing much anyway.
the sound on the big hauler is not terribly impressive.
its a very "low end" sound system..
not nearly as good as a sierra or phoenix type system..

I turned it on when I first bought one years ago..
listened to it for a minute or so, took out the battery and never bothered to turn it on again..

I have since bought 3 more annies..never once used the sound on any of them..

Most Large scale locos dont come with sound anyway..
I simply consider the big hauler/annie to be a loco that doesnt come with sound..

Scot

charon

Bonzy69,
Scotty is right.  Once in a while, when I'm by myself, I will turn on the Annie sound just for kicks.  However, it's usually off, and when I have guests I run the Phoenix equipped shay and 45 tonner.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

calenelson

I may have one I could send you, gimme a few days to check........... ;)

Barry BBT

Bonzy69,

The sound switch is "on" in the down position.  Check to see if there are two wires soldered to the back of the  small circuit board the switch and recepticle are mounted.  Sometimes the wire from the tender can get broken, usually at the white plug (the one which plugs into the sound board).

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Lawrie

Aside from all the advise give me a call on 02 6662 7405 if you would like the tape recorded on DVD for Aus.