Bachmann Gave me the "Cold Shoulder"

Started by sloan, May 20, 2008, 01:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloan

Bachmann said "If the loco's are over 5 yrs old ,Finding the Traction Tires are my problem "   They said a part # might help  anywhere on the net to find a parts breakdown on the locos ?

Yampa Bob

Try a call to Caboose Hobbies in Denver.  They've been in business for 70 years, and have a huge parts inventory.  1-800-886-1813.  Ask for Bill Johnson, he will get you to the right technician.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

So you don't have the parts sheet?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

They gave you a cold shoulder? Bachmann has great customer relations. You can't expect them to keep parts for all their engines indefinitely. 

richG

Try this guy. He has diesel and steam traction tires. Ignore anyone who puts you down for havibg a loco with traction tires. It is your model railroad. My new Roundhouse steamers have traction tires and you would never notice them
http://www.yardbirdtrains.com/YBSMparts.htm

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: sloan on May 20, 2008, 01:31:53 AM
Bachmann said "If the loco's are over 5 yrs old ,Finding the Traction Tires are my problem " 

And people want traction tires?

Never on the GER.

As for the Bachmann response, did you tell them what locomotive the tires were for?  i.e "The XYZ Pacific"?  (Not that Bachmann have an 'XYZ Pacific' but as I don't like traction tires, I can't give a real example)  :)

It may be that these days companies don't keep parts for very long.  Look at Athearn and the fact that they wouldn't and still won't honour their warrenty and repair the split gears in the 4-6-2 and 2-8-2.

r0bert

Traction tires would be considered a "Normal Wear" consumable item, not covered under warrenty, just like motor oil for your car.
wathers carries replacements
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=&manu=192&item=&keywords=&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

sloan

Well to start with  I didn't ask for warranty ..... These are cheap loco's I know .but when 2 bucks worth of parts will fix them I ain't throwin them away .. Bachmann has sold a Million of these so somebody outta know Something ...And last but not least I didn't  put the D... Traction tires on em !!!!! Bachmann did   Sloan

Woody Elmore

So if your Buick needs new tires, you expect Buick to replace them?

sloan

No I don't ,but some help locating them would have been nice. and the old buick tires would have had the manufacter and size on them     

Yampa Bob

Well, at least you know where you can get the tires. I thought the "tool" was ridiculous in price.  Best thing to use is a length of 20 pound monofilament fishing line. Make a loop around the tire and just skin it right on the wheel, then pull out the line.

I use this method to put tight o-rings on pumps, works great and doesn't damage the rubber.

There is nothing wrong with traction tires.  I have several MDC locomotives, due to their diminutive size and weight they would have no traction at all without the tires. With the latest technology in "rubber" products, I expect they will outlast the locos.

r.cprmier

Bob;
You know, It could have been said about the late John Allen that if you tried to pick up one of his engines, you stand a chance of a hernia...
...I don't reckon he needed those lil' rubber tires, do you, good buddy?

The Old Reprobate
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Yampa Bob

Well, I heard that after the fire that destroyed his basement, they found huge piles of lead.

I just thought of a way to solve all the problems with traction, turnouts, derails, etc. Add 2 pounds of lead to all the cars, if nothing moves there are no problems.