STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 25, 2020, 03:21:20 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Thomas & Friends in DCC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Thomas & Friends in DCC  (Read 17727 times)
Guilford Guy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »

Oh yeah, that works perfectly until you want to run more than 1 engine...
You can buy small steam sound decoders, as they'll be similar in sound to an English engine. If you want to go all the way and use recordings from the videos you would need a loksound decoder and programmer.

Alex

Chessie Sys. 3022
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »

Also don't forget with the engines with tenders, you can stick a decoder in there. There's more than enough room (you could easily fit a Digitrax DH123D decoder) and you can wire the tender wheels to pick up power. It's very simple!
PerfectPercy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »

Also don't forget with the engines with tenders, you can stick a decoder in there. There's more than enough room (you could easily fit a Digitrax DH123D decoder) and you can wire the tender wheels to pick up power. It's very simple!

I don't know about the wiring to get power being easy. You would have to cut up the bottom of the tender and you would need a different set of wheels that are powered. Wiring the tender wheels to pick up power on engines such as Gordon would be so difficult. First, you would need to split the axle to prevent "crossing the streams." (I love my humor  Tongue)

This would result in so many problems and the Average Joe wouldn't think of dealing with that mess. I know i wouldn't and I went as far as dismantling James completely just to add weight for more traction! Tongue
Chessie Sys. 3022
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 11:57:36 PM »

I don't know about the wiring to get power being easy. You would have to cut up the bottom of the tender and you would need a different set of wheels that are powered. Wiring the tender wheels to pick up power on engines such as Gordon would be so difficult. First, you would need to split the axle to prevent "crossing the streams." (I love my humor  Tongue)

This would result in so many problems and the Average Joe wouldn't think of dealing with that mess. I know i wouldn't and I went as far as dismantling James completely just to add weight for more traction! Tongue

Sorry, so used to standard HO scale locomotives with their tender wheel pickups. Tongue In any case, it would still be easy enough to locate the decoder in the tender. Just run the wires out of the tender into the body, and paint the exposed wires black. Orange and gray wires go to the motor, red and black go to the wheel pickups, and that's probably all you need to for the tender locos. If you need lights, blue is lighting common, white is front headlight, and yellow is black headlight. I might do this for practice of installing decoders and to show you all how easy it is. Tongue
StanierJack
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 06:11:28 AM »

It's easy to install DCC into engines, having done so myself. All i needed were wire cutters and a soldering iron, both of which aren't too expensive.

As for the chips, i'd reccomend placing the chip in the cab, drilling a hole in the front of it to get the wires to the chassis directly. If you buy a decent chip, you will not notice it when the train is moving Wink
RBMN #425 Fan

7 Passengers Cars, A Caboose, and a Lot of Steam

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »

here, if you want a dcc thomas, follow this link http://www.trainbuddy.com/Reference/Decoding%20Engines/thomas.htm
its a dcc thomas with lights for sale!! Smiley Cheesy Grin

BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)
StanierJack
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 10:49:07 PM »

here, if you want a dcc thomas, follow this link http://www.trainbuddy.com/Reference/Decoding%20Engines/thomas.htm

At that price, it's cheaper to make your own. Also, it teaches you how to wire dcc systems.
PerfectPercy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 12:37:51 AM »

I find this to be convenient, but at the same time it is sad to see how easily you can damage an engine by doing this. Is there a way to do this an keep the moving eye mechanism working? The article states that the circuit board for this was removed for some reason.
Guilford Guy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 04:50:26 PM »

It's my understanding the circuit board is to prevent damage being done to the motor in case of a surge. When installing a decoder they really don't serve much of a purpose anymore not to mention wiring in the decoder is easier with it gone. If anyone wants this done and is not confident to solder the decoder themselves, email me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:26:46 PM by Guilford Guy » Logged

Alex

Anthony P2

this Doctor doesn't shut railways down

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »

I find this to be convenient, but at the same time it is sad to see how easily you can damage an engine by doing this. Is there a way to do this an keep the moving eye mechanism working? The article states that the circuit board for this was removed for some reason.

yes because the eyes move by gears inside the engine, not by the circuit board. the circuit board was removed because it was not needed after the DCC chip was put in.
PerfectPercy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »

yes because the eyes move by gears inside the engine, not by the circuit board. the circuit board was removed because it was not needed after the DCC chip was put in.

Because the decoder has its own "surge protector"?

I also figured that's how the eyes worked after taking apart James.
Chessie Sys. 3022
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »

I can do decoder installs too if people want me to. Just email me as well if you want it done. (Send to stratomaster15 @ yahoo . com *Eliminate the spaces in the address)
Anthony P2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »

if anyone who has a DCC thomas and put a back light in it could you please tell me how you hollowed out the back lamp?
Guilford Guy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 10:34:11 PM »

There's a thing called a drill...

Alex

Anthony P2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »

drill bit size would be nice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »