News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in DCC

Started by GovB, May 20, 2008, 01:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

Oh yeah, that works perfectly until you want to run more than 1 engine...
You can buy small steam sound decoders, as they'll be similar in sound to an English engine. If you want to go all the way and use recordings from the videos you would need a loksound decoder and programmer.
Alex

Chessie Sys. 3022

Also don't forget with the engines with tenders, you can stick a decoder in there. There's more than enough room (you could easily fit a Digitrax DH123D decoder) and you can wire the tender wheels to pick up power. It's very simple!

PerfectPercy

Quote from: Justin on July 29, 2010, 11:36:58 PM
Also don't forget with the engines with tenders, you can stick a decoder in there. There's more than enough room (you could easily fit a Digitrax DH123D decoder) and you can wire the tender wheels to pick up power. It's very simple!

I don't know about the wiring to get power being easy. You would have to cut up the bottom of the tender and you would need a different set of wheels that are powered. Wiring the tender wheels to pick up power on engines such as Gordon would be so difficult. First, you would need to split the axle to prevent "crossing the streams." (I love my humor  :P)

This would result in so many problems and the Average Joe wouldn't think of dealing with that mess. I know i wouldn't and I went as far as dismantling James completely just to add weight for more traction! :P

Chessie Sys. 3022

Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on July 29, 2010, 11:50:36 PM
Quote from: Justin on July 29, 2010, 11:36:58 PM

I don't know about the wiring to get power being easy. You would have to cut up the bottom of the tender and you would need a different set of wheels that are powered. Wiring the tender wheels to pick up power on engines such as Gordon would be so difficult. First, you would need to split the axle to prevent "crossing the streams." (I love my humor  :P)

This would result in so many problems and the Average Joe wouldn't think of dealing with that mess. I know i wouldn't and I went as far as dismantling James completely just to add weight for more traction! :P

Sorry, so used to standard HO scale locomotives with their tender wheel pickups. :P In any case, it would still be easy enough to locate the decoder in the tender. Just run the wires out of the tender into the body, and paint the exposed wires black. Orange and gray wires go to the motor, red and black go to the wheel pickups, and that's probably all you need to for the tender locos. If you need lights, blue is lighting common, white is front headlight, and yellow is black headlight. I might do this for practice of installing decoders and to show you all how easy it is. :P

StanierJack

It's easy to install DCC into engines, having done so myself. All i needed were wire cutters and a soldering iron, both of which aren't too expensive.

As for the chips, i'd reccomend placing the chip in the cab, drilling a hole in the front of it to get the wires to the chassis directly. If you buy a decent chip, you will not notice it when the train is moving ;)

RBMN #425 Fan

here, if you want a dcc thomas, follow this link http://www.trainbuddy.com/Reference/Decoding%20Engines/thomas.htm
its a dcc thomas with lights for sale!! :) :D ;D
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

StanierJack

Quote from: RBMN #425 Fan on August 02, 2010, 08:40:14 PM
here, if you want a dcc thomas, follow this link http://www.trainbuddy.com/Reference/Decoding%20Engines/thomas.htm

At that price, it's cheaper to make your own. Also, it teaches you how to wire dcc systems.

PerfectPercy

I find this to be convenient, but at the same time it is sad to see how easily you can damage an engine by doing this. Is there a way to do this an keep the moving eye mechanism working? The article states that the circuit board for this was removed for some reason.

Guilford Guy

It's my understanding the circuit board is to prevent damage being done to the motor in case of a surge. When installing a decoder they really don't serve much of a purpose anymore not to mention wiring in the decoder is easier with it gone. If anyone wants this done and is not confident to solder the decoder themselves, email me.
Alex

Anthony P2

Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on August 03, 2010, 12:37:51 AM

I find this to be convenient, but at the same time it is sad to see how easily you can damage an engine by doing this. Is there a way to do this an keep the moving eye mechanism working? The article states that the circuit board for this was removed for some reason.

yes because the eyes move by gears inside the engine, not by the circuit board. the circuit board was removed because it was not needed after the DCC chip was put in.

PerfectPercy

Quote from: Anthony P2 on August 03, 2010, 05:40:23 PM
Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on August 03, 2010, 12:37:51 AM

yes because the eyes move by gears inside the engine, not by the circuit board. the circuit board was removed because it was not needed after the DCC chip was put in.

Because the decoder has its own "surge protector"?

I also figured that's how the eyes worked after taking apart James.

Chessie Sys. 3022

I can do decoder installs too if people want me to. Just email me as well if you want it done. (Send to stratomaster15 @ yahoo . com *Eliminate the spaces in the address)

Anthony P2

if anyone who has a DCC thomas and put a back light in it could you please tell me how you hollowed out the back lamp?

Guilford Guy

There's a thing called a drill...
Alex

Anthony P2

drill bit size would be nice.