Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in DCC

Started by GovB, May 20, 2008, 01:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Bach-man

Dear Sparky,
I'm right here...
There are no plans for DCC in the Thomas line at this time.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ThomasFan247

i have a thomas with dcc and lites.

lilwaffleboy

Where did you get the Thomas and friends line with lights and DCC? Did you costum make it? I am very eager to buy it!

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Guilford Guy on May 22, 2008, 07:14:33 AM
Quote from: Shawmut Line on May 21, 2008, 11:56:02 PM
What might be a good idea is for Bachmann to make Thomas & Friends for grown ups and kids.  The ones for the kids are what we have now.  The ones for the grown ups have more detail and are DCC.  Anyone think it would be cool?
Anyone think they wouldn't sell?
Oh, I wouldn't be too sure, now me being cheap and just wanting something to amuse my nefu, I would by the younger one. But so people do model for just the fun, I think they would like some more realism, wouldn't you> I now you have a couple with decoders, am I right? If so, then why not, I'm sure even kids, younger ones, or Model Museums would buy them, you mustn't swash some creative ideas, I don't think they would be profitable for Bachmann to manufactur, but I know people would buy them.
;) I rather stick to a Santa Fe 4-8-4 then Thomas, but my nefu and I continue like the little British engine.

Quote from: lilwaffleboy on June 21, 2008, 01:58:40 AM
Where did you get the Thomas and friends line with lights and DCC? Did you costume make it? I am very eager to buy it!

Or another maker.
Quote from: Thomas. on June 11, 2008, 02:33:29 PM
i have a thomas with dcc and lites.
Interior?
Oh, and by the way, I am keeping track of grammar and/or spelling mistakes... ;) Underlined and boldfaced.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

If people didn't rely on a company that wouldn't do it in the first place, and super detailed their locomotives, and soldered in decoders themselves, they would have much more respect as modelers, instead of toy train set people.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 21, 2008, 09:22:50 PM
If people didn't rely on a company that wouldn't do it in the first place, and super detailed their locomotives, and soldered in decoders themselves, they would have much more respect as modelers, instead of toy train set people.
Very true, I have and know a modeler saying:
The makers can only give you a locomotive, you must shape it into YOUR locomotive.
He told me afterward,
He meants you must weather it, stick a minifigure in the cab, and other things. Modelers are called that for one reason, not to rely on a maker, but to become one. But you now GG, sometimes, we must have the product, to learn to make one.
I agree though, famous modelers are famous not for their layouts, but how real it is and if they made the structers and some other things.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Look, I'm sure there's a British Super Detail Parts producer as there are so many North American ones. There's many websites that tell you how to add DCC to Bachmann locomotives. By the time they make a DCC Thomas, you could have completed one yourself, and have been running it for at least a year.
Alex

engine275

how hard is it to install into the small engines and toby. and how simple is putting Decoders into any  non-DCC locomotive.
owner of the Indian Valley Railroad

Guilford Guy

Soldering 7 wires, (4 without lighting), and making sure the motor is isolated from the frame, if it isn't already. A wire from each pick up, and a wire to each motor lead. Digitrax makes decoders smaller than a dime, so I'm sure you can fit it in almost anything.
Alex

stevek

Hi,
    After reading this thread today, I decided to open up a Bachmann Thomas to investigate the DCC installation. I happened to have a Digitrax DZ123 decoder floating around from a never completed N gauge DCC conversion. This is a rather small decoder which made things pretty easy in terms of finding room for the decoder. It turns out that Thomas has a small circuit board fastened to his cab roof and this is the place to solder in the decoder. Thomas' cab roof can be removed by gently squeezing the front and back windows and lifting gently. Anyway, in less than 2 hours Thomas, programmed #0001, is whirring around my test track with a Hornby Annie and  Clarabel, and a Brake Van (also Hornby) in tow. Thomas with DCC is an even MORE useful engine!
    I operate an online train shop and would be happy to do this work, at a reasonable cost, for anyone who might be interested. I can provide the decoder and installation in your locomotive or provide a brand new locomotive with decoder installed. Contact me directly at skingtrains@aol.com if interested.

Thanks,
Steve K.
www.skingtrains.com

Santa Fe buff

Steve K,
Thanks for the advice as to install a Thomas decoder for DCC. Thanks for the offer, but I don't own anything Thomas, so I'll have to turn down. :)
- Joshua Bauer

goldwing

Yola,

even tho it is highly right that the bachamnn will never make this, but maybe if the bachmann added a very tiny microphone to the engine like spies use, and it is in the  cab area since thomas's cab is not halo like the others, and add little holes to the sides, it might be a way to add DCC, but it's just a hypothsis and yet to be answered. So please answer me if this might be correct. Also why dosen't bachmann expand the engines a wee bit, like an inch.

Well till the next post...later.
Ok, so I return after 3 years, and guess what, I have no railways. FAIL

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I make my own detail parts. I use paper clips, small gauge wire, et cetera, and it turns out looking great.

jgaynor

i've been told by a local shop that Digitrax is coming out with a small decoder with light and sound small enough for T&F,

So my question is to all, is there any place to get the sounds of Thomas and Friends to download to a decoder or is there a way to create your own sounds if I do use the Digitrax decoder
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

RBMN #425 Fan

if i'm not mistaken, thomas and friends (and all standard dc engines for that matter) can already run on dcc. for digitrax/NCE/spectrum dynamis systems, loco address 00 or 0000. and for bachmann e-z command number 10 :) ;) :) :D
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)