News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Aint it about time

Started by Dusten Barefoot, May 21, 2008, 09:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Mutschler

Yes, I'm partial to the F&CC / RGS 4-6-0s, but that might not be as compelling a prototype for Bachmann as the ET&WNC 4-6-0 since they have the research done for that prototype.  As for cars?  Well, I think you have to give Bachmann credit for covering the continent with their prototypes.  No, it won't please everyone, but there really is something for nearly everyone. 

Eastern prototypes:  Box car, flat car, low side gondola - all appear to be very close to Ohio River & Western prototypes, right down to the Eames vacuum brakes used on the OR&W, Washington & Waynesburg, and a few other lines.  The stock car and tank car on flat car look very close to ones used in the mid-west on the Bellvue & Cascade, in Iowa.  Two bay hopper - East Broad Top.  Skeleton log car - looks similar to some used by Ely - Thomas.  Pulp rack - Sandy River & Rangely Lakes (2 foot) - Maine.  Locomotives:  Cornwall & Lebanon (2 foot) 4-4-0 - Pennsylvania.  Sandy River & Rangely Lakes (2 foot) 2-4-4T Forney - Maine - inside and outside frame versions.  The 2-6-0 is close and a good starting point for some of the Washington & Waynesburg and Ohio River & Western locos. 

Rocky Mountain prototypes:  Rail truck - Rio Grande Southern No. 1 (a very short-lived prototype)

Far Western prototypes:  The Shay can be used as the starting point for Michigan - California 2, but you'll need a new tender.  No absolute far-west only prototypes come to mind - except maybe the fact that the 2-8-0 is based on an export model sold to the FC Mexicano. 

The passenger cars are pretty universal, though several people have expressed interest in typically eastern board and batten siding.  The high side gondola and reefer are free-lance, but go well with the other equipment.  The side dump cars are nice contractors equipment that would look great with the Porters 0-4-0T and 0-4-2T. 

As I say, actually Bachmann has done pretty well at providing a diversity of products. 

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

japasha

Whether it's an RGS 4-6-0, SP or Tweetsie, they aree all about the same length, a little over 12 inches in 1/4" scale. The key is wheelbase.  at a scale 9'9"  that's pretty long. I have a pair of RGS 1/4" On3 ten wheelers and I can tell you that 36" radius is painful. The C-16s are actually smaller locomotives with a shorter total wheelbase due to small drivers.  The prototype had blind drivers which helped greatly.

I'd be more inclined to buy a Westside #14 shay. You have to really give Lee a lot of credit for picking smaller prototypes for model. The Porters are jewels as are the small shay and climax. These are true tight radius machines. Some of you need to see catalogs from the 1920s as the small shay was used to build many of the original US highways..

Jake

Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Frisco

One idea for Bachmann  would be to make all the parts for the ON30 line for buying and then to come up with a couple different tenders so that you can kit-bash their existing offerings (for example take the 2-6-0 and turn it into a SP ten-wheeler by adding a whale back tender and the four wheel piolt truck from the 4-4-0 + a few other detail parts ).

The Old Fardt

Seeing how we are using HO or On30 track, why not use HO engines once in awhile for the missing ones not yet made in On30 ?  I tried it  and  what the hey ! NOT to unreasonable. Must of them are quit cheeeep too. A friend brought over his old Cab-forward he bought at a train swap meet/show for $30 used and it run fine around the layout. Sure, it was out of scale but we still had phun.... We can never ever have everything just as exact as the real thing !! Haven't yet seen a layout that fooled me thinking it was the real thing.  Oh ya ! I now have a used cheap HO Heisler that works until Bachmann does produce that On30 beast.
Your version might be different,    cheers,
TOF