News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Amazing

Started by chucknlead, February 28, 2007, 09:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chucknlead

I've been in the market for an advanced Digital Command Control system. I got a list of model railroading hobby shops in Maryland and Virginia and decided to make some phone calls to see who had what in stock. I wanted to play with a few systems to help make my final decision. I could not believe how many hobby shops simply said "we don't carry DCC systems" Some DID NOT KNOW WHAT DCC WAS!!! One guy said "We don't sell HO. We only carry O scale..." I did not know that DCC isn't compatible with anything else but HO!?!?!??! He simply has no clue. I Called fifteen hobby shops only four had a DCC system. One place only had a Zephyr, another had an older MRC prodigy and an EZ command, one carries a full line of NCE and the other only had an MRC Power pro. None offered or suggested that one could be ordered if I were interested. They must be doing pretty good business to have the luxury of turning away a potential sale and future customer. Why wouldn't you have a layout in your hobby shop with a digital command system with sound locomotives? A friend saw my layout and assumed that I dropped big bucks for a DCC system. It's a Bachman EZ Command. I explained to him how affordable it was and simple to use. Now he's got one for his layout. I think alot of hobby shops are intimidated by it or simply don't care. Some guys never heard of it!?!? Where is the marketing from Digitrax, MRC, NCE,etc......? Every hobby shop should at least have an EZ Command to generate intrest in DCC. Joe Shmo buy's an EZ Command and  a year later he's ready to move on to the Superchief, Pro Cab, wireless system, sound decoders etc. This is new to me. I've only been in this hobby for a year, so there may be alot of things I don't know. What I do see is a market that is being ignored by many hobby shops; amazing.
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

Atlantic Central

This just goes to show that DCC may not be as "universally accepted" as those using it would like to think. Most of those I know using it bought their systems mail order from places like Tony's that specialize in DCC.

I live in Maryland, What 15 shops did you call? What part of Maryland and Virginia? The five or six shops that I go to carry at least some DCC stuff and definately know what it is. But, most only sell one brand and stock only a few basic items.

Sheldon

chucknlead

I could give you a list! I started calling locally, Frederick, Hagerstown, Gaithersburg out to Ellicott City. On the Virginia side; Leesburg, Sterling, Springfield, Arlington and Alexandria.

Places that did have at least one system; Peach Creek Shops, Moose Caboose, Hobby Town and Grand Dads in Va.

Jim Banner

Chucknlead, that is surprising to hear.  I find that even rank beginners in the model railroad classes I teach, even the guys who still refer to a locomotive as a "train," have heard of DCC.  Perhaps this is because our local hobby shop sells four brands - Bachmann, Atlas, MRC and Digitrax.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Virginian

One issue may be that people want expert help when they need it.  Now, in spite of those who take everything on this forum and other such places as gospel, some people may feel that real DCC "experts" are not that prolific.  Places like Tony's and Litchfield have a hard earned reputation, AND good prices.
   Wal Mart is only doing a decent business in computer peripherals.  I don't think folks think they are going to get much tech support there.
   Or it could be that they have a clientele with a whole lot of old guys like me, who have been in it for 35 years, not just a short while, who are not wowed by the latest "technology" in this instance, and have never asked the first question about it, and are almost a sure bet to never buy any of it from them, even if they do decide to take the leap.
"What could have happened... did."

barrowsr

Chucknlead,

You may have already learned this but I would liken the NCE system to a Mac and Digitrax to Mirosoft as far as ease of use and learning the system.  The elimination of block controls alone is enough to justify DCC on any layout with more than one train in my opinion.  Tonys is a great place to call of visit for questions - although his staff is very busy at the major train shows.

Semi Conductor
SASS #51020

Atlantic Central

Chucknlead,

Well that explains it, I know the shops in the towns you listed, and most are places I would not even bother to stop in because they don't have much inventory or they think it is still 1965 and they can charge full retail.

Peach Creek Shops is the only one on you list that I shop at, that is a great store. All you had to do was come a little farther north east to the big city and go to MB Klein in Baltimore. Problem solved.

And, I would say Virginian is right as well. Like I said before, the guys I know using DCC buy most of their stuff from Tony's.

Personally I have little use for small shops unwilling or unable to stock much inventory. There is a lot of stuff out there these days, if you want to sell stuff, you have to have what people want, not just a handfull of odds and ends. I worked in hobby shops years ago and had my own Matco Tool business a while back. Inventory is everything in making sales and cultivating customers. Anybody can be and order desk, I don't need to leave home for that. If I go to the store, I want to see and touch the stuff before I buy it.

I do have my local shop order a lot of stuff for me that I am already sure I want. And this shop does not have a big HO inventory because he mainly deals in O and large scale. BUT, he is less than a block from my home, and his prices are good. If I had to drive any distance to him, I likely would not bother.

When I drive any distance to a shop, it is places like Peack Creek, Kleins or Star Hobby that I know have a big selection of the kind of stuff I am looking for and at a reasonable price. It doesn't have to be the lowest price, but the full retail days are long gone.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Chucknlead,

One other thought,

I'm not trying to talk you out of DCC, for many modelers it is the perfect control system. But there was a recent post on here that took a survey of who was or was not using DCC and in the end it was about 45% DCC, 55% DC, with few, if any, of the DC bunch planning to switch any time soon and several of the DC people interested in computerized block control, not in DCC.

My point is that many of the shops may know this as well. Many new modelers will choose DCC for a number of reasons, but the number of existing modelers with much time in the hobby who will convert in the furure has probably leveled off. This combined with the fact that places like Tony's are so well known for their excelent support, may make it pointless for many shops to tie up money in DCC inventory that would basicly never sell.

Sheldon

Jim Banner

Good point, atlanticcentral.  The fellows who have 100 plus locomotives and a large investment in block control (both dollar wise and time wise) are daunted by the dollars and time to change.  They have my sympathies.  I went from computer block control, which had taken 14 years to develop, install and program, to DCC, but not without a tear in my eye.  And after close to a decade, I am still converting locomotives.

Atlantic Central

Jim,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiances the other day.

What brand of DCC do you use? All those in our local group use Digitrax and I must say one of the things that keeps me happy with my plans not to do DCC are those controllers with 800 buttons that are too close together for my big fingers, with those little icon pictures I don't understand.

Seems to me it trades one kind of complexity for another.

Sheldon

NevinW

I think this is a major reason that many hobby shops are closing.  Way too many are clueless and so far behind that they are losing business.  I doubt that Caboose Hobbies would have said that.  Why put up with cluelessness when Loy's or Tony's are so helpful. 

I recently went in to a hobby shop and the guy in there told me flat out that there was no such thing as 2 rail O scale.  All O scale was 3 rail!  He was adamant.  I just walked away shaking my head. -  Nevin

Jim Banner

Atlanticcentral, you are welcome.  I use Digitrax because of my dealer - he lives in the next province, but he serves me well by mail.  The reason I went with him is because he has been a Digitrax dealer for about as long as there has been a Digitrax.  Everybody starting off in DCC needs a guru.  He is mine.

Atlantic Central

Jim,

Thanks again and I understand exactly. When we operate on the layouts with DCC, I always try to get the utility throttle, much friendlier than the regular one. All the DCC guys in this area are doing Digitrax, so they can just bring their throttle with them to operate.

Sheldon

chucknlead

Quote from: barrowsr on March 01, 2007, 08:06:29 AM
Chucknlead,

You may have already learned this but I would liken the NCE system to a Mac and Digitrax to Mirosoft as far as ease of use and learning the system. 
Semi Conductor
SASS #51020

Sorry in advance but I only have experience with Microsoft. I'm looking real hard at the NCE Power Cab because of it's keypad layout, features, reputation and price. I think I spoke to a gentlemen named Greg at Moose Caboose. He not only had NCE in stock but a layout to play with it. (Marketing tool!) On top of that, he sells the pro cab for the same price as Tony's! I'm making a trip out there this weekend.

John at Peach Creek Shops is decent guy with excellent prices. Most Bachman Rolling stock is $7.95 with the exception of a few. Bachman diesels with DCC on board is $29.00 if I remember correctly. He only has one Lenz Set 100 but I cannot try it out.  :(

Never heard of MB Klein but since I work in Balto. occasionally, I'll have to check them out too.

BTW- NCE has suspended it's System One with Wangro.

SteamGene

Sheldon,
If the utility throttle is not a UT-4 or UT4R, buy one for yourself.  You can't program with it, but those who have one of those and a 400 leave the 400 at home when they go visiting.   Much smaller, easier to handle, and, for big fingers, the nice, large speed control dial. 
Last October I visited Golf Manor in Cincinnatti.  Small shop, but crammed kits, locos, superdetailing parts, scratchbuilding materials, etc.  But no evidence of DCC.   
I went to DCC because of sound, pure and simple.  But it does simplify wiring.  I will have several brass locomotives that will have to be rewired, at least, before they can be run on DCC, but it is doable.  The hardest ones to convert will probably be the ones with a Rivarossi Vanderbilt tender.  Getting into that tender is a nightmare, I understand.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"