News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 truck shay performance

Started by spla13, May 24, 2008, 03:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spla13

i received my shay today-lubed it and began to break it in light. it did not run very good at slow speeds.it jerked around and surged. my heisler ran much better at break in. i hope the shay gets to running good or the three truck is off. i cant see why i should buy two locos that dont run like they should. bob.

Paul W.

Bob,
I've never had any problems with my Shay even during break-in. She's a smooth runner especially at slow speed.
There will be others chime in, but is yours surging on level track or while on a downhill area?
Happy Steamin'

Paul

az2rail

I don't which version you have, but I was told that early version shays had plastic gears, which caused drive issues. Later versions came with diecast gearing. If this is your problem, you can buy the replacements. They come in a set of two rucks, and you fust replace the whole thing.

I also just bought one, and I asked the dealer if it came with the upgrade trucks or not. I have not tested it yet, maybe I should, being as I have another one coming also.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

altterrain

Quote from: az2rail on May 24, 2008, 10:31:41 AM
I don't which version you have, but I was told that early version shays had plastic gears, which caused drive issues. Later versions came with diecast gearing. If this is your problem, you can buy the replacements. They come in a set of two rucks, and you fust replace the whole thing.

I also just bought one, and I asked the dealer if it came with the upgrade trucks or not. I have not tested it yet, maybe I should, being as I have another one coming also.

Bruce

They all have the same gears. The difference is the outer case. Original versions were plastic. New version (available seperately) is diecast.

-Brian
President of

az2rail

In that case, "never mind".

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

spla13

this shay is the new version. it has about 3 hours on it now and it doesnt run any better at slow speeds.  also at slow speeds the headlight in the opisit direction flikers in forward or reverse although the headlight that should be on is working fine and on in the direction of travel. why would the headlight that should not even be on fliker at slow speed? it also makes alot of gear noise i think at the outside bevel gears.   this loco is static display at best in present condition and its brand new not used!

altterrain

I have seen this happen with LEDs head lights and a PWM power supply. The reverse LED will flicker a bit. It has something to do with AC leak through or something like that. Are the head lights LEDs? and what power supply are you using? Many Aristo power supplies are PWM.

-Brian
President of

spla13

i use a bridgewerks td-25 with a train engineer. all my other locos run fine- 5 bachmann-3 aristo-and about 60 usa locos.most are l.e.d. this shay is also stalling at points at slow speeds. my heisler whitch is most like the shay, has no problem anywhere on the track at even a creep as all the rest of the fleet. i think i will send this one packing and replace it with another heisler. bob.

StanAmes

It is often very hard to identify a problem from internet posts.  I have several 2 truck shays and they run smoothly.

this shay is also stalling at points at slow speeds.
This is a hint which may explain your poor performance.

From your posting it sounds like a shay with very dirty wheels that is getting intermitmtnt pickup.  Since it is a new shay I doubt the wheels are dirty but perhaps the pickup is not cunducting properly.

With an ohm meter checkthat all wheels per side are connected together.  My bet is that you will find onw or two truck sides that are not picking up power.

Just a guess

Stan Ames

Superheater

I too have a 2 Truck Shay, from the original run.  Its trucks were replaced by Bachmann Service when the original replacements were made available. Now it goes about dragging its rear truck. 

Like the Bach-Man mentioned above, I believe this is due to a power pick up issue, and believe something has gone wrong in the truck pickups.

I have recently been put in touch with an individual who will convert the locomotive to run on internal batteries and radio control, which I'm told will solve the problem, as well as making the locomotive more enjoyable to operate.

I will report back with the results.

John Fitch

Cascade Northern

My shay, which I received in 2007 brand new from factory, has never had any problems.  Then again it it onboard battery RCS.  If you want to keep your shay, I would think about putting batterys in it.  But, that's just me....