News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Article in Latest Gazette

Started by Woody Elmore, May 24, 2008, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

Bob Hayden has a great article in the current Gazette (May/June) about making Bachmann cars resemble Maine equipment. In the article he has an interesting method for lowering the cars since the Maine cars had a hunkered down appearance.

I rode in one of the long cabooses while they were in Massachusetts on the Edaville. It was quite a nice ride and endeared me to Maine equipment.

br549

Woody, I have began the process of hunkering down my roster of rolling stock. The look is  :o very appealing I cant wait to finish my fleet! Great article for sure! ;)

Hobojohn

Hello all,

Bob Hayden's article is inspiring, but not unique on how to get that  'Low Maine narrow gauge look' on your rolling equipment.

Here is a link that shows you even more exactly how to to it. It has been there for a long time already.

http://on30center.com/on30/library/articles/ac/tc/tc.html

John Baron
The Netherlands

br549

Thanks for the link John. Actually the methods used appear to be many different methods compiled. I wouldn't have started it if I hadn't seen it in the gazzette first. I dont read too much of the different medias obviously :-[
Again thanks! :)
Bob

Hobojohn

Hello Bob,
You're welcome.
I have done several Bachmann cars sofar. There is one tip I want to give you: frames of the Bachmann tankcars/flatcars are different form the ones used under boxcars.
Just compare the bolsters of each and see the difference. The once on the flatcars/tankcars lie deeper at the truckbolsters.
If you use the link I gave you: the best way is to start with a boxcar. Get some experience there. Work slowly and give glue time to settle.
With that in mind modify a flatcar and filedown bit by bit, rather then cut, the centershaft where the truckscrew goes in.
There is a difference in heigth. Compare frequently with the height achieved on the boxcar untill you are satisfied.

I personally love all the results I achieved. Especially when the low truck frame are used mentioned in the webpage of Allan Carroll.
Bob Hayden's results in the NG&SLG are also beautiful.

Nice universal 0n30 hobby, is not it?

John Baron
The Netherlands.

LurchBird

I did not realize that lowering the cars meant purchasing new trucks.  Do the new Bachmann lowered frames ride on new trucks?

Hobojohn

I have only lowered the "old" cars. They came on the "high"trucks.
I changed them for the lower/longer ones.

I do not know how the new cars come along.
Check it out on the several websites where these cars are offered.

br549

I haven't purchased any of the new lowered trucks. The trucks I am using are the first generation series trucks. I do grind off the nub on the center of the trucks bolster flat. Then on the center area on the top there are two nubs side by side each side those I also removed. ( As seen on Harold Minky's web site) Thanks Harold for the tip! ;D
The center post on the bottom of the car body where the trucks screw attaches, I left that alone for the purpose of reinstalling the bolster screw. As it didnt interfere with the height mod's at all.
I didnt realize the frame were different on the flats & tanks I'll have to give that a close look before venturing into them. Thanks for the heads up!
You bet this IS the Greatest scale yet hands down... ;)