BACHMANN DIGITAL COMMAND UNIT (44902) - Problem

Started by ChooChooMan, February 28, 2007, 10:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChooChooMan

I just got myself a nice Bachmann Digital Command Unit.  However, when I read the instructions, I realized that the unit requires the locomotives to be DCC-equipped.  I have about 32 N-Scale locomotives from different manufacturers and I don't think that any of them are DCC-equipped.   I don't want to return the command unit but I just look at the cost of the decoders and it is going to cost me a lot of money to upgrade my locomotives.  I don't even know if installing the decoders will make my locomotives work with the digital command unit.

I'm looking for some advise and have the following questions:

Will installing decoders really convert my locomotives to be DCC-equipped?
Is it worth getting the decoders?
Is there other type of command unit that will work with my non-DCC-Equipped locomotives?
Will other type of command unit allow me to run more than one locomotive at a time?
Can I run more then one non-DCC-Equipped locomotive with the command unit I purchased?

I would appreciate any advise you can give me.

Thanks

the Bach-man

Dear Choo Choo,
You can run one analog loco at a time with EZ Command. Your other locos will need decoders,

ChooChooMan

Thank you very much for your help. I guess I'm going to have to add decoders if I want to keep the Command Unit.

jwoj69

Quote from: ChooChooMan on February 28, 2007, 10:20:18 PM
I just got myself a nice Bachmann Digital Command Unit.  However, when I read the instructions, I realized that the unit requires the locomotives to be DCC-equipped.  I have about 32 N-Scale locomotives from different manufacturers and I don't think that any of them are DCC-equipped.   I don't want to return the command unit but I just look at the cost of the decoders and it is going to cost me a lot of money to upgrade my locomotives.  I don't even know if installing the decoders will make my locomotives work with the digital command unit.

I'm looking for some advise and have the following questions:

Will installing decoders really convert my locomotives to be DCC-equipped?
Is it worth getting the decoders?
Is there other type of command unit that will work with my non-DCC-Equipped locomotives?
Will other type of command unit allow me to run more than one locomotive at a time?
Can I run more then one non-DCC-Equipped locomotive with the command unit I purchased?

I would appreciate any advise you can give me.

Thanks
If You like to keep Dc engines, just get power supply and a electric switch. In couple minutes You can switch between Digital and analog. A lot healthier than running just one  dc engine with DCC,
hope this helps jack