Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender Swap

Started by TERRYINTEXAS, May 25, 2008, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TERRYINTEXAS

Ok i got this crazy idea

If I buy a Bachman Northern with DCC and sound which has a Vandy tender

That i could also use the tender on my Bachman 2-6-6-2 DC which would make it an H-6

or H-7 DCC with Sound

Question is

Do you think the plug is compatable and has anyone tried this ?

SteamGene

You best bet is to buy a Bachmann 16V tender.  It is a direct match to the USRA light Mallet, which is a C&O H-5.  Putting a Vandy tender behind the USRA light Mallet will make a stand in for the C&O H4/6, bt not an exact copy.  In addition, many of the H4/6 sed 12V or 14V instead off the 16 V.  If, by "H7" you mean the C&O H-7, it is no match at all as the H-7 was a 2-8-8-2.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TERRYINTEXAS

Quote from: SteamGene on May 25, 2008, 12:35:35 PM
Snip
"H7" you mean the C&O H-7, it is no match at all as the H-7 was a 2-8-8-2.
Gene

ooooooooops i forgot about that !
You're right !

Thanks Gene

Still I'd like to make a model of an H-6 and was wondering if i could just plug in the Vandy Tender
I have an H-5 with Tsunami sound and another 2-6-6-2
that is straight DC

TERRYINTEXAS

After a search i found this but it doesn't say it includes Sound

While some combinations require circuit board modifications or swaps, many do not.

Here is some of the crossover info for DC versions:

USRA Light 4-8-2 and 2-8-0 - all these tenders interchange with each other - medium coal, medium vandy oil or coal.

USRA Heavy 4-8-2 and USRA 2-6-6-2 - all these tenders interchange with each other - long coal, Hicken, long vandy.

4-6-0 and 2-10-0 - I believe these two locos share the same circuit board as they share several different tenders, but of the seperately available tenders only the small Baldwin tender will work with these two locos.

The 2-10-2 has a unique circuit board not compatible with any of the seperate tenders.

It is possible, and easier in my opinion, to rewire most boards to work with any loco. It is mainly a function of the pin assignments in the orange plugs which is easy to change. But, some locos have 12v headlights and some have LED's, this is where the problems come in.

Hope this helps.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Sound is not the issue.  Use the Spectrum 16V and you will be fine. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

TERRYINTEXAS

Thanks Gene
I'm not sure which Tender the DCC sound version of the Bachman C&O
Mountain comes with but i'm hoping it will be a straight swap
for the tender behind myBachman  Dc 2-6-6-2

SteamGene

The C&O USRA heavy Mountain is the "after shopping" version with flying pumps and the 16V tender.  It is an accurate model of the C&O J-2.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat