News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lest We Forget

Started by Yampa Bob, May 25, 2008, 01:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

On this Memorial Day, please observe in your own way, a moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever you are doing for a moment of silence.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

I fastened a poppy on a locomotive, and will run it tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. Mountain Time.

If you're driving somewhere, remember to "Click it or ticket".

And now: " Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines! "  They're off !
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Woody Elmore

This morning I went for an early boat ride on Long Island Sound with my neighbor. As we stopped to look at a new waterside mansion being built we heard the sound of a piston engined airplane. Looking up I was surprised to see a B-17 circling! A local Long Island airport has planes on display this weekend and you can pay for a ride in the B-17. (they Have a Ju-88 bomber on display; it had been Generalissimo Franco's private plane. They won't fly it but it is interesting to see.)

It sure was nice to view a B-17 in flight.

Tomorrow I make a long drive to the National Cemetery to visit my parents' grave and some others.

Memorial Day has become too commercialized and the original meaning - Decoration Day - has been lost in all the ads for appliances, cars and Bar-b-ques.

Woody Elmore

I need to correct my last posting - the German plane on display is a Heinkel 111, not a JU-88. Apparently Franco had one all fitted out with seats and tables and used it often.

Don't forget to fly your flag tomorrow.

Yampa Bob

When the holiday was first observed on May 30, 1868, I imagine there were vendors selling their wares. The commercializing, races and bar-b-ques don't bother me as long as people acknowledge and respect the real meaning of the holiday.

There is a major push to return the holiday to the original May 30, personally I am against it.  Many people have to travel long distances to honor loved ones and need the extra time off.

The holiday should be a time of remembrance,  but can also be a time of reconciliation and celebration.

The tradition is to fly the flag at half-staff from dawn to noon local time. I need to correct my post also, the "national moment of remembrance" is at 3 p.m. Eastern time, so my "poppy run" will be made at 1 p.m. Mountain time.

I ask all "Engineers" to buy a poppy and join with me for a nationwide run at half-throttle.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

SteamGene

Unfortunately, Bob, half the American citizens on this board have no idea what Memorial Day is all about.   
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Dusten Barefoot

I for one do know what memorial day is. It is the day we are suppose to Honer the American Vet's, Troops, Armed Forces, and for the love ones lost on forign soil to protect this great country. They are to be rememberd. Sadly Gene is correct, many people just think it is a day off of school/work.
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

SteamGene

Dustin,
Not quite.  But you have the common misconception.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Dusten Barefoot

I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

GN.2-6-8-0

Having lost family in two wars  and served I  know and respect the time spent remembering our military and Vets on  this Memorial Day.

Semper Fi.
Rocky Lives

sour rails

Semper Fi!

Of course, but not only do we remember the fallen but rather WHY we were fighting when they fell.

They can push it back to the May 30th date all they want to, but, now, it will always be a custum for Americans to celebrate on the last Monday of May.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

Yampa Bob

HUA !!   (HOO-ahh) (Heard, Understood, Acknowledged)

Dr EMD

Just pause to look at what we have that is in the Bills of Rights.

Look at what they have and look at their living conditions.

Remember those who are no longer with us who died while fighting and defending what we as American believe in.

Thanks to our brothers and sisters for making American the best in the world.

Dr. EMD
(USAF Vet 1972-1993)
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

r.cprmier

To "Big mamie"...

As I came aboard, I saluted the United States Flag.  I was not in uniform.  Someone called me on it.  I simply told them that many men who came and went before me gave me the right-as a former American Fighting man, to excercise that gesture. 

Her guns are posed in a position of peace, her decks clean, her whole presence as if ready for action again, if needed.  Her silence broken by the sounds of people and kids, boat motors, and the sounds of Fall River.  Tours are given on board, and her history is of course, available, t his, the ship that fired both the first and last sixteen-inch projectiles in anger; the first into Casablanca, Mormcco; the last into Tokyo, Japan.  Of course, she will never be either ready for action; or in this day and age, or needed in light of today's technology which abounds.  The labour of both my Mom and Dad are imbedded in her history, so she has a special meaning to me.  There have been many beauties in this world, but the most beautiful lady to me will always be my Miss Massachusetts-BB-59-Big Mamie.

The Old Reprobate
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

epeorus

Today, as I have for the past 35 years, I had breakfast with two of my fellow prisoners in the Hanoi Hilton.  Mostly we toasted each other and congratulated our sucesses in life ... a small tradition, but the only one we could think of to honor our own service and experiences.

Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

Guilford Guy

Today I played Taps at 4 spots as part of the town Memorial Day Program... Not Program, I've forgotten the correct word but anyways...
Alex