News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc sound

Started by spla13, May 28, 2008, 03:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spla13

i was told that the sound in a three truck shay will work with just dc. will it work all funtions-bell- wistle etc.?

Tony Walsham

Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

spla13

what do i need? i use a bridgewerks td-25. will the bachmann dcc system work with this or is there something elce i should use?

Tony Walsham

The DC controller you have will make the loco move and chuff. 
Nothing else.

If you want access to the DCC features available you will have to use one of the DCC systems that can handle the current required.
Possible the Bachmann system backed up by a booster.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

StanAmes

i was told that the sound in a three truck shay will work with just dc. will it work all funtions-bell- wistle etc.?
Perhaps I can provide a little more information to help you fill in the gaps.

The sound unit in the 3 truck Shay is an OEM version of the Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder that Bachmann uses in its HO, On30, and the Shay, the only difference being the amp rating (the Shay draws more current).

Various DCC sound decoders work differently in DC mode.   For example, QSI uses a polarity change to activate the various sounds, MRC uses a radio transmitter, LGB and Phoenix use auxiliary contacts.  The Soundtraxx OEM sound decoder that Bachmann uses only supports an auto mode in DC operation.  This means the chuff is active and you can configure the whistle and bell to come on at start up.  You or your dealer can configure this auto mode by setting the values of various parameters in the decoder.  This configuration requires a DCC programmer.

Another product in the market is the Black Box from MRC.  This allows a DC user to control any of the sounds in any DCC decoder while using DC.  I do not believe that a hi amp version for Large Scale has been released yet but I may be mistaken.
what do i need? i use a bridgewerks td-25. will the bachmann dcc system work with this or is there something elce i should use?
Bachmann makes 2 DCC systems.  With either you can fully control the sounds in the 3 truck Shay.  Neither system provides enough current for Large Scale use.  For Large Scale you will need to augment your Bachmann system with a power station (booster).  Bachmann makes a 5 amp one that comes with its own power supply.  Other DCC manufacturers make 10 amp versions and they also work with the Bachmann systems or other DCC systems in the market.

Hope that helps.

Stan Ames
http://www.tttrains.com/largescale/stan.htm