News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Would you like to see a Spectrum 4-6-2!

Started by Guilford Guy, February 28, 2007, 11:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Virginian's point about the large variety of 'differing' 4-6-2s that we all would like to see mfg is well taken. It would be hard for a company to be 'road specific' ... but how about 'road generic'?

It seems to me that a 'generic' Harriman style steam model in 4-6-2 and 2-8-2 (mainly thinking of the boiler shape and the cab) would allow very many modelers of many different railroads, a wonderful starting point. Over the time I've been on this forum, I've seen repeated requests for "Harriman" style steam locomotives.

I would think (just my personal opinion, of course) that a 'generic Harriman' mfg in 'Spectrum' quality (both 2-8-2 as well as 4-6-2), would be a wonderful seller for many HO modelers.

(and for you N&W modelers, sounds like great news coming from Nigel!)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Bill Baker

Lanny,

I can't seem to picture what a "Harriman" 4-6-2 or 2-8-2 look like.  Could you direct me to a website which may have such pictures? Or, are some of the pictures posted in this thread Harrimans?

Thanks, Bill
Bill

robertjohndavis

If I am not mistaken, the best-selling Bachmann Spectrum locomotive is the 2-8-0. It is an IC prototype that has been "genericized" with round domes and a USRA medium tender. It sells well as a "close enough" model for many roads, and is great fodder for kitbashing.

So how about a similar take on a 4-6-2? I agree that the NYC K-11 is an excellent choice to genericize. A Pacific like this, with sound, below $200 would be outstanding.

Rob

Orsonroy

Quote from: Nigel on March 03, 2007, 08:44:04 PM
Quote from: rogertra on March 01, 2007, 05:42:12 PM
QuoteMy personal wish would be for an IC branchline Pacific with low drivers, but that's a pretty obscure prototype. How about something that looks nothing like a USRA engine, that there were hundreds of, like a NYC K-3 or K-11?

Right idea, wrong prototype.  Anything NYC always screams out "NYC", something not as identifiable would be better.

The NYC K11 does NOT scream NYC.  It is almost a generic Alco 4-6-2 of 1911-1914.  The N&W E2 Pacifics are very similar, as are other railroads.

Also:
The Rutland ........ light class were probably based on the New York Central's K11 class from:
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/article.php?article=2591

Bowser already has a model of the NYC K11.

True, but the model's a travesty. It's one of the few models that's actually a Bowser (rather than a bought out model from another company), the detailing is at LEAST crude, and they don't really run well. A state of the art K-11 or K-3 would REALLY be a boon to modelers everywhere, especially NYC steam modelers who seem to be on the increase (now that there are a fair number of NYC-specific steamers on the market)

Remember: Bowser makes a Challenger and several USRA engines too. You wanna bet the new releases of those engines in plastic are light years ahead of the Bowser stuff?
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

Orsonroy

Quote from: Bill Baker on March 05, 2007, 09:36:49 AM
Lanny,

I can't seem to picture what a "Harriman" 4-6-2 or 2-8-2 look like.  Could you direct me to a website which may have such pictures? Or, are some of the pictures posted in this thread Harrimans?

Thanks, Bill

I'll grab this one Lanny...

Alton 652, typical Harriman designed Pacific (owned by at least the Alton, UP, SP and IC)

IC 1259, typical Harriman designed Mikado (owned by at least the Alton, IC and UP)

(note: I'm saying "at least", since there's not a whole lot of data out there on the Harriman designed steam. There was a lot of it out there as it predated the USRA designs by at least 15 years, and a lot of roads actuallly DID like the idea of standardization. No one (that I know of) has stepped up to the plate to write the difinitive book on the entore line of harriman steam designs, all the roads that owned them, and all the clones that were built)

Harriman engines enjoyed a LLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG life span. On the IC, engines built in 1911 ran to 1960, long after 99% of the USRA stuff had already been scrapped. The IC alone had over 1400 Harriman patterned engines, as 2-8-0s, 2-8-2s, 4-6-2s and 4-4-2s.

It's pretty odd that no one has bothered to step up and start manufacturing these engines yet. There were a LOT more of them than the USRA engines floating around, and they can legitimately be painted for two of the most popular roads out there (SP & UP). With VERY little work many can be turned into respectable ATSF engines. And except for the NorthEast, every region in the country had at least SOME Harriman engines running around.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

Bill Baker

Man, those are some beauties.  Those pictures will go in my scrapbook.  Thanks for sending Orson.

Bill
Bill

lanny

Thanks for posting the photos Orsonroy, and also for the helpful information. Again (sorry Gene, I know this 'kicks' me up to about 405 times :-), I really don't understand mfgs'. reluctance to produce "Harriman" style steam in at least the more common wheel arrangements ... 4-6-2, 2-8-2, 2-10-0 and 4-8-2.

The main 'look'  difference between a 'Harriman' style steam locomotive and a USRA is that the Harriman boiler is basically pretty straight from front to cab, and in many cases (at least on the ICRR) actually slopes in a little as it gets close to the cab. On the other hand, the USRA styles all have the very familiar 'hump' about mid-boiler, with the boiler front looking smaller in diameter than at the cab end (this is my personal impression and there are, no doubt, exceptions).

But the 'Harriman' straight boiler and (for the ICRR at least) the very distinctive Harriman cab (the Spec 2-8-0 has a great ICRR style cab ... would be so nice to be able to buy that 'part' seperately!) are to major visual differences between them and USRA locomotives. I think probably, these two differences would be pretty much the same for any road that used Harriman rather than USRA, or along with USRA.

lanny nicolet

Bill Baker

Lanny,

That picture of the Harriman 4-6-2, #652 that Orsonroy posted....is that a bellpare (sp?) smoke box? 
Bill

lanny

Hi Bill,

No, I'm quite positive its not a 'bellpaire' (sp?) smokebox. Also, there is a slight hump in the boiler, but not as pronounced as a USRA would usually be. I think the shadow of the railing against the boiler might give the smoke box on #652 a 'different' look.

The IC Mikado that Orsonroy posted is very typical of ICRR Harimans with straight boilers, sloping in slightly at the cab.

One thing about ICRR late model steam locomotives ... they are pretty much 'plain-jane' boilers with not nearly the piping, and other stuff, etc. that is commonly seen 'hanging' on many USRA locomotives.

lanny nicolet

r.cprmier

G.G.;
Broadway Limited (precision) is coming out with one this year, that will pretty much suit my fancy, as the quality of their products has seemingly edged up in my opinion.  I like everything I have bought from them so far.

Incidentally, the engine will have, among road names, Boston and Maine!  Guess what...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

lanny

Rich,

Any photos of the BLI pacific that's 'coming' ... I couldn't find any on the BLI site.

lanny nicolet

Atlantic Central

Lanny,

You can't take a picture of something that does not exist yet. They are still literally "on the drawing board" from what I understand. But I am ready, as soon as their out I'll take 3-4 unlettered with no sound or DCC.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Lanny and Sheldon;
IN the "Precision" catalogue, they show a B&M type 4-6-2 pacific 1:1 scale.  If you look at the literature, they are inferring that the product they are making will roughly-fit the req.s of a lot of roads, and with some minor modifications, will probably do quite well to represent what people want. 

In my case, that loco specs out to about the dimensions of an I-4.  now, even though I free-lance and follow no prototype on my railroad, there is a big soft spot in my otherwise granitic ticker for the NYNH&H railroad co.

I will use it as a basis for just that engine.  They are also coming out wit htwo versions of the Hudson I-5; one in brass (I am still laughing at the price) and one in brass and plastic.  Not a problem.  I am no purist, except they have to be either blonde or redhead....
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Stephen Warrington

Paul M.

Quote from: Guilford Guy on March 02, 2007, 06:54:08 PM
The non-streamlined P1's could be easily adopted into other roads  ;D

Quote from: Matt Bumgarner link=topic=563.msg5071#msg5071date=1172879648

Yes, a Southern Ps-4, or even a P-1 would be magnificent.

However, I would like to see a "smaller" 2-8-0 version than the current Spectrum. It is much too large for many applications south of the Mason Dixon, including the K-class consolidations of the Southern.

Matt

Looks like we've got 3 votes for a generic-ized T&P P-1  ;D ;D ;D

Guilford Guy's, Matt's, and mine. ;D

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific