News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Would you like to see a Spectrum 4-6-2!

Started by Guilford Guy, February 28, 2007, 11:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Needing some Pacifics and getting tired of waiting,

I will buy some BLI/PCM USRA Lights when and if they come out, but otherwise I am about to give up and just build a few others. I picked up two old Mantua Pacifics and and Mantua Mike real cheap. Now I'll get a Bowser order together for some parts and just build some the old fashioned way.

Sheldon

pdlethbridge

Actually they are all B&M company locos. The center was a Maine Central loco. B&M and MEC worked together on a lot of projects including the soon to be running Flying Yankee

Guilford Guy

Alex

r.cprmier

Lanny;
The third-for my money-is an Alco product-commonly found on the B&M.  It could also possibly be a New Haven I-3.  They loved them Alcos.  The I-4 is a real honey-I have always liked that engine!  Saw a bunch of 'em plying the Old Colony line when I was a kid living in Quincy, just up from the Quincy station.  Saw the last one in commuter sevice clank into the station in '52; after that, they were all gone-to the scrapper's torch.  Shame they never held any back for keepsakes...

I also remember a sunday afternoon, perched at the window on about the tenth floor of the Mass. General hopsital, looking down at North Station, and the last of the steam-about '55, I think, because the Southeast Expressway was also in view-or at least the girders that supported it.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

nw tom

Yes , in anything but Pennsy.
Also a 2-8-2.
Coal AND Oil
Tom

ryeguyisme

has anyone seen the movie "danger lights"???

it has a perfect example of a non-prr and non-usra pacific in it :D

japasha

Even though I am an SP fan, I would like to see another Boston and Maine Pacific similar to the one Athearn put out in 1960 or so. That is one very good looking locomotive. I have a pair of those oldies and they run well but are not made  in a conventional manner. Those were Lima built in the late 30s. A nice generic mechanisim with some specialized superstructures could be very viable, much like the 4-8-4s Bachmann offers.

Just my $0.02 this evening.

J. Pasha

pdlethbridge

Not only is it a good looking loco but a very powerful one. Using 260 lbs of steam would put it up there as superpower
Class P-4 Specifications
Wheel Arrangement   4-6-2
Gauge                          Std
Road Numbers             3710-3719
Builder                    Lima
Year Built                  1934
Cylinders                  (2) 23" x 28"
Boiler Pressure                260
Driver Diameter               80
Tractive Effort                 40918
Grate Area                 66.9
Weight on Drivers     209500
Locomotive Weight   339200

Guilford Guy

A mountain tender could easily be thrown behind and some of the streamlining discarded. Also due to the fact that 3713 a P4 is currently being restored to operating condition at steamtown, it is just as good a candidate as the  K4 or the Standard Berkshires.
Alex

rogertra

pdlethbridge

Sadly, that loco is far too distinctive, we need something that is just a plain, ordinary looking Pacific.

Guilford Guy

A lot of streamlining was removed from the locomotive in later years. A P2 pacific would be another good candidate.
Alex

lanny

Okay ... if Bachmann is really interested in satisfying the need for a Harriaman Pacific, how 'bout this one ... straightforward and easy to 'bash' into a large variety of roads.

It would be wonderful to see something like this in the 'near future'  :). (Why do I think I'm just dreaming?  :D)

lanny nicolet

PS ... this was an ICRR 4-6-2 coming out of St Louis back in the 50s sometime.
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

pdlethbridge

lanny

pdlethbridge,

I sure wouldn't argue with that model ... its close enough to allow some simple, basic kit bashing to turn it into an ICRR ... the boiler and cab look really close, the rest is just detailing.

So when did you say Bachmann is coming out with that one in the Spectrum series  :D

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler