K-27 Simple way to install RCS battery R/C.

Started by Tony Walsham, May 29, 2008, 02:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walsham

RCS has now finalised the way we recommend installing battery R/C in the K-27.
Firstly we will show how to do it at the lowest possble cost using the fitted TRACK - BATTERY switch as an ON-OFF switch for the system.
No soldering is needed.
This method is very basic and not designed for using a sound system.
You will need to drill 1 x 5/16" hole to mount the CHG-JACK.
Parts needed are:
1 x # TX-4  4 function transmitter handpiece.
1 x # PnP-3  Plug'n'Play R/C controller.
1 x # CHG-JACK to access the batteries for charging.
1 x # Y-CABLE to put two 7.2 volt batery packs in series for 14.4 volts.
2 x    7.2 volt 2400 mah SuB NiCd batteries.

We recommend you read the RCS PnP-3 instructions along with the following procedure.
http://www.rcs-rc.com/PDF/Battery_RC/RCS/Instructions/PnP_3_TX_24.pdf

The first thing to do is remove the body shell of the tender so the chassis looks like this.

Then we removed all the track pick ups and associated wiring.

The speaker was mounted.

Then the batteries and # CHG-JACK were mounted in the tender shell. We used regular silicone tile and gutter sealant.
The batteries were placed in series using the # Y-CABLE.  the red and black wires were then connected to the battery sideof the # CHG-JACK.

The controller side of the # CHG-JACK was connected to the BATTERY + and - terminals on the socket pcb.  Then we remounted the K-27 body shell.

Lastly we mounted the # RX-8 metal cased receiver under the coal load and glued the antenna wire around the edge with dabs of silicone adhesive.

We will show our prefered way of doing an installation for Phoenix P5 + P5T in another thread.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

smcgill

Thanks Tony !!    :o
You make it look simple.    ::)
The pics help so much.    :)

Sean

mudhen

Hello Tony
I had though of using the pre made battery packs just as you have discribed. I have two 7.2 @2400ma
I was going to have a single pack made up , and it was or is going to be 13 sub c batteries @4500mia giving a voltage of 16.2 ( I Think ) .
Do you think this is over kill and will be located in a trailing car  behind the tender.
Also it comes with a wall mount charger which charges the batteries singularly in about 5 hours ea , ( the 2x 7.2 2400's )
I have been worried about heat when recharging the batteries , if they can over heat and melt the plastic on the tender .
Also as I under stand , the higher the ma. rating ,  the longer the running time one will have ( correct ) ,  but one must take in consideration the grades on you railroad , size of trains being run ,  and weight of train being run too .
Your thoughts please 

Thanks in advance

Tony Walsham

Hello Mudhen.

There is no hard and fast rule on battery voltage.
Because of the 15:1 gearing, top speed on 14.4 volts is more than adequate.
13x cells = 15.6 volts and is probably OK.

I have never had a problem with the batteries getting too hot when charging using a proper peak detection charger, or overnight standard rate charging at the recommended 10% rate for 14 hours.
There should be plenty of room in the tender for most batteries.
I chose to do it the way I did because it gave me more convenient access to the ON-OFF switch and charge jack.

Grades may very well slow the K-27 down on steepish grade but that does depend somewhat on the load.
So far the K-27 will haul quite a decent load but will of course be limited by adhesion.  If the wheels slip don't try loading the loco with any more weight.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).