4-6-0 Sierra Railway No. 3, the "Hooterville Cannonball"

Started by DMC-4-6-0, May 29, 2008, 05:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMC-4-6-0

I want to build a replica of the 4-6-0 Sierra Railway No. 3, which was the "Hooterville Cannonball" that also pushed the Delorean Time Machine In back to the Future III . I own a Delorean and have always loved that train now I have a 1/32 rail version of the Delorean that needs a train to push it. So any help finding the parts to build the train  would be of help

Cameron Dingler DMC-4-6-0

PS yes Im a Noob  but I can build stuff (USAF Ret Jet Mechanic) I just need help with the engine details ;D
I do not "GET LOST IN TIME" -
I "INVESTIGATE ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS."

"Sometimes you have to role a hard six"

DMC-4-6-0

Ok after looking around all night/ morning it looks like there are several
2-6-0's that could be converted using a good imagination
here is the old girl Im want ing to model

Mark Oles

Cameron,

I have a friend who is also a Hooterville Cannonball fan, and we discuss this from time to time. 

Your easy options are to either use an anniversary 4-6-0, and accept that the driver spacing is not the same or you could start with the Centennial 2-6-0 which has a closer driver spacing.

If you cobbled together an anniversary boiler with a Centennial 2-6-0 chassis, and added a four wheel lead truck, you might be pretty close.  The Big Hauler boiler is a wagon top type, like the Sierra #3.  Domes are different, but not that difficult.  You might want to do a search for David Fletcher and see some of his Masterclass articles about making some of these parts. 

For the Sierra coach, check out the Hartland Shorty coaches.  They appear to be just about the right proportion.

Good luck!

Mark

DMC-4-6-0

yeah I just bought the Bachmann spectrum 4-6-0 anniversary the one with sound smoke and all #81095 to start with and my next planed engine is the 2-6-0 Mogul #81495 and between these I should be able to make a very convincing Cannonball to push my 1/24 Rail Time Machine Delorean ;D

glennk28

Sierra #3 actually has quite an extensive "wardrobe" of smokestacks, headlights, cabs, and other accessories--so that it does not show up as exactly the same loco in each film. 

The "Hooterville Cannonball" is actually two locomotives.  The action shots are the Sierra #3.  Closeups use a mock-up of RGS #20, originally built as sets for the movie "A Ticket to Tomahawk" Staring Dan Dailey, Walter Brennan, and RGS 20.   This is the explanation of the credit to a hotel in Portland for the train.  The mock-up is preseently back in California somewhere last I heard.  The real RGS 20 is being restored to operationg condition for the Colorado Railroad Museum.  A reasonably convincing model of the 20 can be built from the "Annie".   gj

DMC-4-6-0

If you notice #3 wears the same light and smoke stack in both Back to the Future III and the "Hooterville Cannonball" IM currently refitting the engineer house and other parts for the swap on to the 2-6-0 when I go get it ;) the paperwork that comes with the engine shows that a lot of the parts are universal between the engines so heres hoping it works

Cameron  DMC-4-6-0